Chapter 1: The Letter PT-1

Washington DC, Winter 2010….
One Fine Saturday morning….Gibbs House…

Gibbs Pov:

With the smell of freshly brewed coffee my day starts as usual just like any other normal weekend, nothing different except for one thing

With the smell of freshly brewed coffee my day starts as usual just like any other normal weekend, nothing different except for one thing. As I keep going through my mail lazily mostly tossing away all the junk mail, a rather curious letter from that pile gets my attention. It's addressed to me as usual but the sender's name is what has me double checking it. It's a name I haven't heard for nearly 25 years. To get a letter from her after all these years???

How is it even possible??

After hesitating and staring at it for almost half an hour like the letter might attack me, curiosity gets the better of me and finally I gather the courage and open the letter. At the sight of Jack's handwriting sudden pain pierces me as if I was stuck with a dagger. I could never forget this handwriting, not in a million years. I stare at the finely written cursive letters with a heavy heart and a thight throat as I make out the words neatly written in it.

Hello, Dear Gibbs….

First of all if you are reading this then it means that I'm no longer alive.

Just at the sight of the first line my heart climbs up my throat, beating so wildly I'm surprised it's not ripped out of me. It sure feels like it. 

Jack is dead??

Just the thought of it makes me want to crawl out of my own skin. I may have lived these past 25 years without her but the thought that she was living her life somewhere happily was the only thing that kept my heart beating. And now reading those lines feels like someone just ripped my heart out of me. I take a shaking breath, feeling a thousand questions whirling in my head, threatening to drown me, smother me alive.

What…Ho..How-How did it happen..When did it happen… Why.. I glance back at the letter again, feeling an overwhelming urge to rip that thing to pieces and just deny it all, that it was all just my imagination and that Jack is somewhere in this world alive and happy and not dead. But I can't do that. No! Instead, with shaking hands I pick up the letter back again not because I want to, but because I have to…

There might be a million questions running inside your head right now. I can only imagine. Starting from is it really me? If yes, why now after all these years? To where have I been all along, How have I been, How could I possibly go on without a single word for nearly 25 years etc etc….

What? Are you stunned by my ability to speak 'Gibbs' even after all these years, ehm? Don't give me your 'Gibbs stare', okay. I know that you have lots and lots of questions and I promise I'll answer them all, Gibbs. I'm not going anywhere, not this time. Please just have a little bit of patience, okay??

But before all that, How have you been, Jethro? 25 years. 25 freaking years. It all seems like a lifetime ago but at the same time it also seems like it all happened just yesterday.  There has not been one single day in all these years where I haven't thought about you. How about you, Gibbs? Did you ever think about me, 'About us' in these 25 years at all??