IV

♪♫ Allah mujhe dard ke kabil bana diya,

Toofan ko hi kashti ka sahil bana diya,

Bechainiya samet ke saare jahan ki,

Jab kuch na ban saka to mera dil bana diya,

O saathi.. tere bina

Raahi ko raah dikhe na...♪♫

________________________

When they reached the living room, Viaan's steps stopped to see what was causing the commotion. It wasn't really a 'what' instead it was a 'who'.

His mother.

The same mother who disowned his elder brother Armaan when he refused to take up their business and three years later kicked Viaan and Veer out of the house because they also didn't have any interest in their parents' textile business. She only visited for her own reasons—motives to be precise.

Viaan didn't know what she was doing here but he knew it couldn't be for a good reason.

"How could you?" his mother said the second her eyes landed on him. "How could you leave Saloni and get married to someone else?"

"He didn't leave her, Saloni ran away from her house. You would've known that if you had taken time from your busy schedule to attend your own son's wedding." Veer countered and Viaan was grateful. He was never good at denying people, especially their mother.

"Even if she left, he was not supposed to get married to that shameless hand-me-down of a woman!" she exclaimed.

Viaan looked at Adira but her face was blank. Her guards were out and up he realized. There was no trace of the woman who was teasing him in their room.

"Adira is my wife and anyone who disrespects her is not allowed in this house." He told her mother. Whatever happened was not anyone's fault and he wasn't going to let anyone disrespect his wife even if it was his mother.

"You are talking back to me! I knew! I knew Armaan was not a good influence on both of you. Veer had already started insulting me and now you are also talking in his language. I should have never let you both leave." His mother exclaimed dramatically.

"Armaan Bhaiya or Veer has nothing has nothing to do with this. And let me remind you, we didn't leave, you kicked us out. It's you, Mom. You've always treated us as your puppets who would do everything you say but things can't always go the way you want. I didn't even want to get married to Saloni."

He could see the anger in his mother's eyes. He could practically feel it as if it was a real person. He thanked god that Sia was not here to witness this.

"You have got a tongue now; you need a lesson for talking back to me." She strode near him and was about to slap him when her hand was stopped mid-air by Adira.

Adira had murder written on her face, her eyes were raging.

"Who are you?" His mother asked; anger still apparent in her tone.

"I'm the hand-me-down you were talking about. Adira Viaan Singhania." She left his mother's hand and stepped toward him. A second later he realized she didn't step toward him, she stepped between him and his mother; shielding him. "Since you are my mother-in-law, you should know something about me. I can do anything and go to any lengths for my family. I have heard things about you and your past so I know how much you love your empire."