Chapter 13: The inverse world

After their heartfelt departure from Amazon Island, The Doctor and Trinity were navigating through the vortex, their next destination undecided, when the TARDIS suddenly lurched. A blinding energy wave, unlike anything The Doctor had encountered before, struck them. The controls sparked and flickered wildly as the TARDIS seemed to groan under the strain, and then, as quickly as it had begun, the chaos ceased. But the world that awaited them outside was not their own.

Stepping out of the TARDIS, The Doctor and Trinity found themselves in a universe where everything was reversed. The sun rose in the west and set in the east, words were written backward, and time itself seemed to flow in the opposite direction. They had landed in what The Doctor dubbed "The Inverse," a mirrorverse to their own reality.

"This is extraordinary," The Doctor mused, observing their surroundings with a mixture of fascination and caution. "The Inverse... I've theorized about such places, universes that exist as reflections of our own, but to actually be in one..."

Trinity, trying to read a backwards signpost, turned to The Doctor, puzzled. "So, everything here is the opposite of our universe? How do we even begin to navigate a place like this?"

The Doctor, pulling out his sonic screwdriver to scan the area, explained, "It's not just about physical directions or language being reversed. The fundamental laws of physics, the flow of time, even societal norms could be inverted. We'll need to tread carefully, observe, and adapt quickly."

As they ventured into the nearest town, they discovered that the people of The Inverse lived their lives in a manner completely alien to what they were accustomed to. Meals began with dessert and ended with starters, books were read from back to front, and the concept of greetings involved saying goodbye.

The Doctor and Trinity did their best to blend in, although their forward-moving nature occasionally betrayed them. Their objective was clear: they needed to understand the nature of the energy wave that brought them here and find a way to reverse its effects to return to their universe.

Their exploration led them to the realization that The Inverse, while a mirror to their own universe, was not merely a simple reflection. It had its own history, its own conflicts, and its own dangers. The Doctor theorized that the energy wave that struck the TARDIS was a rare occurrence, a bridge between their universe and The Inverse, potentially destabilizing the boundary between the two.

"This energy wave, it's like a crack in a mirror," The Doctor explained. "If we don't find a way to seal it, the consequences could be disastrous for both our universe and The Inverse. The fabric of reality itself could unravel."

Determined to prevent such a catastrophe, The Doctor and Trinity set out to locate the source of the energy wave. Their journey took them deeper into the heart of The Inverse, where they encountered beings who had glimpsed through the crack between worlds and feared what lay beyond.

"Doctor, could this energy wave be related to the cracks that the Master closed? Is it possible that closing one tear opened another?" Trinity asked, her curiosity mingled with concern over the potential implications.

The Doctor paused, considering her question with a thoughtful frown. "It's a valid theory, Trinity," he admitted, tapping the side of his sonic screwdriver against his palm. "The multiverse is a complex web of realities, each connected in ways we don't fully understand. The Master's actions sealed a dangerous breach, but the energy required to do so was immense. It's conceivable that the force of closing one tear could have reverberated through the fabric of the multiverse, manifesting as the energy wave that brought us here."

He continued, his gaze distant, "However, The Inverse is not a crack or a tear—it's a fully formed universe, albeit a mirror to our own. What we experienced was more likely a rare, natural phenomenon, a sort of cosmic alignment that allowed for a brief crossover between our universes. But your question raises an important point about the delicate balance of the multiverse. Actions in one universe can have unforeseen consequences in another."