Raccoon Sixteen

...hmn?

Just-barely awake, King nuzzled against his pillow, then yawned as he drifted in and out of consciousness. He would have just let himself fall back asleep right away if it hadn't been for the faint pressure he felt growing in the back of his mind.

As it were, it took him a few minutes to pull himself together enough to blink open one heavy eyelid. Then another minute before his vision cleared enough in the darkness to see.

Wait a second...

Now that he was actually coherent, he could easily hear a faint sniffling sound.

B?

The man had his arms folded on the edge of his bed with his head tucked behind them.

Sitting up slowly, King watched the man for a few moments before moving his left hand against the blankets just enough to make a decent amount of sound.

Baron's shoulder jerked in response, tensing up from being startled. The man himself, however, seemed able to recover quickly and, after a few moments more of sniffling, he tilted his head a tiny bit upward to look up at him.

There were a thousand things suddenly running through King's mind as he looked at that tear-stained face with only an adorable nose and bright eyes visible above his still-crossed arms, but after a moment he quieted his thoughts and forced himself to relax. He knew that Baron could read his mind and the guy was clearly already stressed enough, so there was no need to add more fuel to that fire.

He hadn't even gotten up onto the bed, either. He'd just slept leaning against it.

"Hey there, B..." he finally whispered, paying close attention to both the way the man reacted, but also the mess of anxiety he could hear roaring from him inside his mind.

Baron stared at him for several moments as the situation processed in his tired, frantic mind. He honestly looked extremely calm on the outside, but was clearly struggling pretty badly on the inside.

When everything finally seemed to click, he slowly lowered his chin back to the blankets and nuzzled his cute nose against his arms.

"King... did I wake you?"

His voice sounded terrible...

Doing his best to keep his mind calm and quiet, King reached forward slowly and, when Baron simply watched him with his big, nervous eyes, he gently settled his hand against his hair, then began patting it lightly just as the other man had done before he'd fallen asleep earlier.

"Don't worry, I'm used to being up at odd hours when gaming," he said without an ounce of hesitation, because it was completely true.

In fact, he was pretty much wide awake already.

Baron watched him in silence for a few moments before finally lifting his head up again, then sniffling.

"I... still, I'm sorry that I woke you up. It was just a nightmare," he eventually said in a quiet whisper as his gaze slowly lowered from King's.

That wouldn't do.

"Hey B?"

The man looked up at him again, his eyes anxious and sleepy in the darkness.

"Want to play a video game?"

Baron's lips parted the slightest amount, then he sniffled a few more times before looking over his shoulder and to the left at King's gaming PC.

"I can hook up a controller to my spare computer," King said with a small smile, hoping to keep the man distracted.

In fact, he got up after a moment of silence and dropped down into his seat, then heard Baron come closer a moment later.