Three

Riyana thought it might be cheating, she did not care. It was five days after the reaping and she sat studying Sabyn's medical records. She had snuck into her fathers office two nights before and spent an hour trying to access medical records; The districts did not do such a good job keeping track of such things. What she did manage to find she read over and over searching for anything that could be an advantage.

Female
17 years old
5'9
175 pounds

She did not appear to have any pre-existing health issues, at last not physically. Riyana would not know of her mental state until they met, and none of it would matter if she were the type to freeze up the moment the games started. She took a book from her father's library and tried searching for tips to be in control of one's fight or flight response, though doubted anything would really be of much use.

She took a break from reading mid day, realizing she had not eaten since the night before. She made herself a quick sandwich and settled down onto the couch. She knew the tributes should be arriving today, so she turned on her television as soon as she settled down on the sofa.

When the screen turned on Riyana coughed harshly and leaned forward. That was red on the screen, Academy uniform red. Next to Lucy Gray in the enclosure stood a frozen Coriolanus Snow. He looked like an animal on display, and for the first time Riyana thought about how odd it really was that the zoo was the chosen holding spot for the tributes.

She did not understand what he was doing there. She knew Coriolanus would do more than the rest of their classmates to achieve success on this project, but she did not think he would ever stoop to a level that put him and the tributes on the same playing field. His image would be streaming all across the capital and within seconds his persona would be altered.

Just thirty minutes after she had begun to watch Coriolanus introduce his tribute to the families on the other side of the enclosure all the students received a message to head to the Academy. When she entered the hall was in full buzz; Corionlaus' adventure was well known.

"Ana, did you see?" Clemensia asked as soon as Riyana was in the room.

"I can't believe he'd do it!" Persephone said.

"He just had to show us up." Livia complained.

"I think he was just trying to be nice." Lysistrata said.

"He was being stupid. That was dangerous." Riyana said.

"District kids aren't dangerous."

Riyana turned her head to see Sejanus staring at her. His undershirt was quite wrinkled and the pin on his suit jacket was off center. His jaw was clenched and his eyebrows furrowed, and he stared at her daring her to say something bad about the tributes.

"Calm down Plinth, I'm not saying the district kids are animals." Riyana said shortly.

"You basically did." Sejanus argued back.

"Anyone in their circumstances could turn hostile, capital or district." Riyana said.

"Oh come on, don't compare us to those animals." Felix cut in.

Riyana saw Sejanus step forward out of the corner of her eye and she quickly turned to face him. She quickly reached and grabbed his arm, not in a comforting manner, but forcefully. Sejanus looked away from Felix and towards Riyana and exhaled through his nose.

"Don't be an idiot." Riyana said bitterly.

Sejanus did not get a chance to respond, for just then the man of the hour walked in. Coriolanus Snow was being escorted by peacekeepers and the students erupted in questions. Everyone wanted to know how he did it or why he did it and everyone else was trying to yell over the others. When Coriolanus was sent to a room with Dr Gaul and Dean Highbottom the chatter calmed down. There were murmurs of speculation debating if he was to be praised or expelled; Riyana could not care either way.

"They uh, Lucy Gray said they were hungry." Lysistrata said leaning in towards Riyana and Sejanus.

"Are you saying we should bring them food?" Riyana asked.

"I can ask Ma to make sandwiches." Sejanus replied.

"I uh, I guess I can get them some water bottles." Riyana said.

Lysistrata clapped her hands together and smiled, "Okay, great. I'll bake them some cookies for dessert."

Riyana just nodded one and turned away. She did not plan on spending her afternoon like this, and she did not want to commit to any other plans with them. She supposed it was a good thing to do though, and really Riyana would do anything Lysistrata asked of her.

Eventually the students were allowed into the room and Riyana took a seat next to Lysistrata and Persephone. On the board was written a list, showing each tribute and mentor. Gaul stood watching over the students and Riyana kept her gaze low.

"Students." Dean Highbottom exclaimed.

The students all turned towards him, except for Coriolanus who sat next to Sejanus and Clemensia with a locked jaw.

"I'm sure you've heard about this afternoon's," Dean Highbottom looked at Coriolanus for a few moments, "Endeavor."

"I'm sure you all will have much to learn during this project, that will include boundaries. Snow will be receiving a demerit for his reckless actions, take this as a warning for you all to behave properly moving forward." The Dean warned the students.

When the students were dismissed their conversations were lowered to just whispers and mutters. No one wanted to receive a demerit, not this close to graduation.

"Are you guys sure we should go later, I don't want to get in trouble." Riyana said quietly.

"Your perfect record is more important than starving district children?" Sejanus asked roughly.

"No, I-"

"No, what? If they were capital kids you would not think twice." Sejanus cut her off.

"We shouldn't get in trouble Ana, we'll do it from a safe distance." Lysistrata assured her.

Riyana looked between her two classmates before sighing and nodding. "You're right, you're right. Though Sejanus, if I get expelled I expect you to marry me and give me the plinth fortune, because I will be disowned." She said, attempting to add a joking manner.

Sejanus chuckled dryly and said, "Okay deal."