Eleven

Riyana grew weary of prodding at the food she had no intention of eating and lifted her gaze to her sister. "Bea, do you think these games serve as a fitting punishment?"

Beatrice set her fork down and dabbed at her lips with her napkin before responding, "I believe the capital had to devise a method to deter any future rebellions."

Riyana shook her head and slid her tray away, frustration evident in her voice. "That's not what I'm asking. What do you personally think about the games?"

Beatrice's lips tightened, mirroring their father's expression when he grew impatient with Riyana. "I believe," she paused, straightening slightly, "as someone who isn't the heir to the family fortune, I shouldn't have a strong opinion either way."

"You're the heir to Mother's fortune," Riyana countered, pointing her fork across the table at her sister.

Beatrice grimaced at the action but shook her head. "It's not enough for me to act in a way that would make me unladylike or unsuitable."

"It's more than most of these people will earn in their lives." Riyana replied.

Beatrice shook her head, and in that simple gesture, Riyana understood that it was best to put an end to the conversation.

"Your friend, the Plinth boy, he looks upset." Beatrice commented, eyes fixed on a table a few rows back.

"You can call him Sejanus, he does have a name," Riyana remarked before turning away. She observed Coriolanus greedily devouring his meal, while Sejanus sat across from him, absentmindedly poking at his food without any intention of eating it.

Riyana quickly averted her gaze, realizing she had been staring for longer than intended. A teasing smile tugged at the corner of Beatrice's lips, prompting Riyana to swiftly kick her under the table.

"You're so annoying." Riyana huffed.

Beatrice dramatically held a hand to her chest, "Oh you pain me."

"Corio!" Beatrice called out, standing up so the blonde boy could see her.

Riyana gaped, "What are you doing?" She hissed.

Ignoring Riyana's question, Beatrice waved Coriolanus over and he promptly stood up. Sejanus, after receiving permission, hesitantly followed suit.

"Bea, I hope you are holding up well." Coriolanus greeting, pulling Beatrice into a hug.

"Oh, I'm holding up, I just think time spent with friends and family is even more important in times like these," Beatrice placed a hand on Coriolanus' arm, "And you're practically both."

Coriolanus grinned down at her, "You flatter me." He said, taking a seat next to her.

Sejanus stood next to him for a moment, seeming to debate where to sit, but eventually crossed the table sitting next to Riyana.

"You haven't eaten anything." Sejanus commented, looking at the tray, which was still completely full.

"You didn't eat anything either." Riyana replied.

"No, I didn't." Sejanus agreed.

"Sejanus," Béatrice started, and Riyana prepared for the worst. "Aiden Ravinstill invited us to dinner in a few days' time."

Sejanus' eyebrows furrowed together in confusion and he glanced at Riyana, but she looked away, trying to hide her reddened cheeks.

"That sounds lovely." Sejanus said, unsure.

Beatrice nodded, "Yes, plus ones are encouraged." She continued.

Sejanus now looked at Coriolanus for guidance, but he was holding a drink up to his mouth, attempting to hide his grin.