Twenty

Riyana and her family left earlier than most that night. The games proved to be a slow one with the bombs opening up more hiding spots than ever previously available for the tributes. Her father had decided to host a small gathering, to celebrate the occasion.

"Your boyfriend seemed upset today." Said Beatrice, joining Riyana in the corner of my room.

"He's not my boyfriend, don't go around telling people that." Riyana snapped, not having the patience for her sister at the moment.

"It was a joke, he did seem upset though." Beatrice said.

Riyana closed her eyes, trying to hide her frustration. "Well I think it's rather obvious that he would be. Imagine having someone you grew up with hanging up there. It's sickening."

Beatrice nodded, though it was clear she did not see the issue in the game markers actions.

Riyana shook her head and set her glass down on a random bookshelf, "I'm going to my room."

"You'll get in trouble with father." Said Beatrice

"I really don't care." Riyana said, already walking off.

She walked into her room just in time to hear her phone on its last rings.

"Hello?" She asked as she picked it up.

"Riyana Pelides, yes?"

Riyana flinched at the voice. Dr Gaul.

"Yes." She answered hesitatantly.

"Are you near a screen?" Dr Gaul asked.

Riyana paused. "There's one downstairs, but it's surrounded by guests."

Dr Gaul laughed into her ear. "A shame, you won't get the theatrics of it all."

"What?" Riyana asked, growing nervous at Dr Gaul's mocking cackles.

"You're friend, the district boy, he's gotten himself into quite a situation."

Riyanas breath halted. "Sejanus?" She asked, not even attempting to hide the urgency in his voice.

"Ah," Dr Gual's voice rang in her ear. "So Casca was telling the truth, thick as theives he said."

Riyana's words failed her.

"I thought it was odd. A bond between a Pelides and a Plinth, peculiar isn't it." Dr Gaul continued.

"Is he okay? He hasn't been hurt has he?" Riyana asked, unable to even her shaky voice.

"Not yet, has gotten himself into the arena though."

Riyana's mind raced with what Dr Gaul's words meant. Had they made him go in as an alternate since Marcus had almost gotten away? No, no, the capital might hate the Plinths, but they relied very heavily on Strabos pockets. She could not think of another implication of what Dr Gaul's words could mean.

"You're going to get him out." Said Dr. Gaul.

"What-"

"I don't have time for your childish questions. The Plinth's brat is loose and they will kill him. I will not let him make a spectacle of the capital anymore." Dr Gaul cut her off.

"How am I meant to get him out?" Riyana yelled.

Dr Gaul was silent for a more moments, and Riyana was slightly afraid that she was somehow find a way to harm her through the phone.

"There's a car waiting for you outside your building."

Then Dr Gaul hung up.

Riyana did not have the time to change before running downstairs. She only slid out of her heels and into a pair of workout shoes before heading downstairs. She ignored the questions from guests about her urgent demeanor and simply ran out the door.