Chapter 14

Beowulf had to admit that he felt a little nervous as his parents approached himself and Thedrick, especially given the look of detestment that Oriana was giving the jester. Beowulf placed a heavy gauntleted hand on the vampire's shoulder in protective reassurance.

"My dear boy, I couldn't be more proud of you!" Beowulf's father declared joyfully, looking up at his son's helmet with a grin. Then his eyes turned down to look at Thedrick instead with a spark of curiosity. "Oh, this must be your little jester friend which your mother despises so much," he said, still in a cheerful tone, the corners of his eyes crinkling with his smile.

"Y-Yes, this is Thedrick," Beowulf introduced him with a gesture. "Thedrick, this is my father, Jonathan. I don't think you two have had the chance to meet before."

Beowulf watched as Thedrick gave Jonathan a nervous smile, though also noticed that the vampire was glancing at Oriana's displeased features every now and then. "H-Hi!" the jester squeaked out in a high-pitched tone, his pale features flushing lightly.

Jon leaned down and reached out a large hand towards the jester. "Nice to meet you, Thedrick," he said in a very earnest manner.

Thedrick blinked up at him with some confusion for a moment, before reaching out both his small gloves hands to wrap around Jon's large one, and then shook his hand. After a couple of shakes Thedrick let go of the big guy's hand, and Jon straightened up while beaming down at him, before turning his attention back to Beowulf.

"You should really bring him around for dinner sometime, have a proper little family celebration," Jon said encouragingly as he smiled up at Beowulf.

"Jon!" Oriana hissed at her husband. "What do you think you're doing? You know what he is!"

Jon turned his head to give his wife a very gentle, patient look. "Yes dear, but what you or I think about that doesn't really matter. Beowulf has shown us over the past few years that he is not going to let our opinions sway him. So I think if we want our son to be part of our lives again, we need to try to accept his choice of company."

Oriana made a noise of displeasure, crossing her arms over her chest and turning away from them slightly, scowling.

"Or since you will now have your own homestead, perhaps it will be you inviting us to visit sometime?" Jon questioned Beowulf cheerily, seeming to ignore his wife's silent protest.

"This is all so much at once... I never thought about having my own house before, what will I even put in it?" Beowulf mused humorously, smiling at his father from behind his visor.

"Is that you Jonathan?" a voice called out, grabbing everyone's attention. They all looked over to its source, and saw Cassian approaching, carrying the young queen down the throne steps. Once reaching the bottom he placed her down, and Maerwynn quickly ran straight over to Beowulf, stopping at his feet and smiling up at him. Beowulf bent down, which was a little tricker than normal in full plate armour, and scooped the young queen into his arms, lifting her up to hold as he always did, so she wouldn't feel like she was being overlooked.

"Cass!" Jon exclaimed, turning around and instantly stepping towards the training officer. Cassian beamed as he walked towards Jon, and once he reached him the two men threw their arms around each other, Cassian ending up enveloped in the larger man's embrace.

"It's been a long time Jon," Cassian remarked as the two of them broke apart, Jon patting the officer on the back with a large hand. The rest of them stood watching the two apparently old friends with surprise.

"That it has. Bet you have been rather busy since the war, aye?" Jon asked jovially, all smiles. "You've been taking good care of my son, yes?"

"Best soldier I've ever had the pleasure to train!" Cassian exclaimed, shooting Beowulf a beaming grin. "He's certainly knocked a few heads together and earned that shiny new armour."