Chapter ???

William was being very careful not to be spotted as he stole his way through the corridors of the academy to get back to his room, new ghostly companion in tow. The last thing he wanted was to be caught sneaking around the campus in his nightclothes, as that would seem awfully suspicious. Luckily, he didn't run into anyone on the way, so managed to retreat into his room without incident, for the moment.

Once inside William dragged his feet over to the bed and then sat down on it, before bending forward and resting his chin in his hands, elbows propped up on his knees, and let out a big sigh. It seemed that things had just gone from bad to much, much worse. Oh, how stupid could he have possibly been to pursue the gem? He should have listened to Cornelius' warnings about it all along.

What's wrong kid, gonna cry? The spectre of the apparent Dark Lord of Undeath asked Will in a mocking tone, leaning over the wizard's sitting form from where he stood next to him.

"No. Just thinking about how to get rid of you without going to Alexavier," Will replied as nonchalantly as he could manage. Even after this latest horrible incident, William was still determined to try and fix the situation on his own, without arousing anyone's suspicions. After all, if the Grand Magus found out Will had possibly just unleashed a most terrible evil which was probably sealed away for a very good reason, Will would likely also be grounded for eternity.

So rebellious, just like a proper darkling should be, Azrael said in what seemed like a very approving manner.

"Darkling... you said that was a human born with dark powers, right?" Will sought confirmation on what Azrael had said earlier.

Yes, we have a natural affinity to dark magic. How serendipitous that you would be one, the perfect vessel for me, almost as if you were made for me! Azrael stated with glee.

"Does the existence of one with a natural affinity to dark magic imply the opposite also exists?" Will asked, looking up questioningly at the spectre, unable to contain his curious nature, especially when it came to the topic of magic. "A 'lightling', so to say?"

Azrael frowned slightly and seemed to ponder the question for a moment. Yes... I have... had? a twin sister who was one... he eventually explained with a look of apparent disgust.

Will gave the apparition a look of astonishment at that information. "I... I have a twin sister too! Would she be a lightling? How can you tell?"

That's... hrm... Azrael murmured thoughtfully, raising a hand to stroke his pointed beard. Well... does she have eyes the colour of moonstone? Like Alexavier's gem?

"Yes!" Will exclaimed enthusiastically.

Huh... I guess they must be made in pairs then... Azrael continued to muse, mostly to himself it seemed.

"So she has a natural affinity to light magic then! That's why she finds it so easy, and is so much better than me at it!" Will proclaimed, jumping to his feet now. "And that explains why I always had such trouble with it, and why dark magic is just so easy to learn! Wait..." Will turned to stare directly at Azrael with wide eyes, which seemed to catch the spirit off guard for a moment, his angular features looking slightly surprised, "Alexavier knew this, didn't he? He knew the whole time that I couldn't possibly reach his expectations for me, he showed such disappointment in me all the time despite knowing I had a natural handicap!"

Tell me about it, Azrael said, rolling his eyes dramatically.

"My whole life, he constantly praised Valerie and held her up as the example I was supposed to follow, the goal I was supposed to meet, and yet I never had any hope of being able to achieve that!" Will continued to rant at the spectre. "Constantly struggling with the feeling that I would never be good enough to please him..."