Chapter 14 | Team Party

Andy

I really hope she accepts.

"Sure! I'd love to stay the night."

Oh thank goodness.

"Under one condition."

I held my breath. The guys gave us some space by going inside to get more taco dip and chips.

It was just the two of us, the stars watching over.

"Tell me why you left."

Shit.

I never wanted to have to tell her.

I repeated my thoughts, "I never wanted to tell you. But if you insist."

Her gaze softened, "Is it because of the coach?"

I silently nodded, "He wanted to force a relationship upon us. I thought if it was forced, it wouldn't be the same."

"You left without telling me why. I was heartbroken," Lydia whispered.

"I was heartbroken too, he ruined figure skating for me. I felt like I was walking on broken glass because I couldn't look at you the same. But I deeply regretted it. I've always loved you too."

She gave me a hug, "I'm glad we found each other again."

"I knew fate would bring me back to you," a tear slid down my cheek.

Zach and Cody came back with more snacks and a couple of beers. We started some small talk which led Cody to asking the question.

"Are you two dating yet?" Cody questioned.

The campfire made a snapping sound.

Zach playfully shoved Cody, tipping him out of the lawn chair, "You ain't supposed to ask that kind of shit!"

Cody sat his chair back up, "Is it not obvious?!"

"Yes, we are dating now," Lydia answered.

My face turned beet red. I was not ready to announce it to the guys yet. But I suppose it was about time we said something. I could never stop talking about her when we were apart.

"You should bring your friends out the next time we throw a small party like this," Zach suggested.

Lydia laughed playfully, "I should, they keep asking about you guys."

I admired the way she sat in the lawn chair next to me. As if the chair was holding her bridal style. Her back was leaned on one arm rest away from me, and her legs draped over the other towards me.

The fire glimmered through her eyes, as she tipped her head back to laugh. Oh her laugh, it sure was contagious.

We played things like cards against humanity, two truths and a lie, and at the end of the night, we made s'mores. The night was cold, but the fire kept us outside.

Cody challenged another one of the guys, Luke, to throw a marshmallow into his mouth from across the yard. However it just barely didn't make it, and hit Lydia in the leg.

"Wow, that's still hot!" Lydia yelped.

I sprang up from my chair and quickly tore the sticky marshmallow off her leg and threw it into the grass.

"Holy shit! I'm so sorry!" Luke gasped.

I glared at Cody and turned to Lydia, "You want to go inside?" I asked, trying to be helpful.

Lydia pressed her lips and nodded.

We trailed into the house where Lydia put a cold paper towel on the tiny burn.

"It's just red. It barely hurts," she sighed, slightly annoyed.

I felt awkward trying to comfort her. I didn't want to make her upset.

She noticed.

"You can give me a hug. Come here," she spread her arms.

The hug was warm and welcoming. Something I've always needed. Heaven only knew how much I loved this moment. Just the two of us.

Lydia settled down before I asked, "You wanna ditch this lame party and do our own thing?"

Her curiosity took over, "What did you have in mind?"

<🧊>

This story is slowly coming to an end! Next chapter will be fun!