Chapter Two

The cold breeze brushed my skin as I walked through. I opened my eyes to see a forest. The forest was alive but dead at the same time.

I walked around, learning and studying my surroundings. I didn't want to walk too far. The forest looked huge. I could easily get lost.

I sighed. "What should I do?" I asked myself. I glanced at the portal that glowed brightly in front of me. "Damn it." I muttered. I glanced at the forest again.

I wanted to venture into the new world but I wasn't attired or in the mood. It was my birthday. I didn't want to get stranded on my birthday.

I heard something rustle in the bushes. I walked quickly into the portal. Fear rushed through me.

I landed back in Florida. I prayed whatever was there didn't follow me. I hurried back to the entrance of the forest. I was paranoid. I kept glancing at my surroundings, making sure that no one followed me. Yet I had a feelings someone was watching me.

The next thing I know, I bumped into someone. The familiar scent hitting my nose. I didn't even have to look up to know who it was.

"I can explain." I breathed.

My mother stared at me. "You think I wouldn't know what you and your friends were up to? What were you doing there? Your friends aren't even with you!"

I winced. "Mom."

"No. I've told you so many times not to go into that forest. I told you so many times it was dangerous. Why can't you listen to me?" She yelled. I've never heard her yell like this before. It hurt to hear her upset after all she's been through.

"Mom, I'm sorry." Tears escaped from my eyes.

"Kira, I don't want you going in there again." She grabbed my arm and pulled me.

"But why? What's so wrong about learning about who I am? About learning what kind of wolf I am?" I jerked my arm away from her.

"Because it's dangerous. The last time I've been there-" She closed her eyes, taking in a breath. "There was a war going on. I don't want you to get caught up in those things."

I remained silent.

My mother sighed. "Your father is there, but I'm sure he's found someone else."

My mother turned and walked away from me.

'Let's go home.' Her words touched my mind lightly. I didn't reply, instead I followed her back to her car she had parked not far from here.

When we reached her car, I sat in the backseat instead of the passenger seat beside her. The drive home was quiet. The silence annoyed me but at the same time felt peaceful. When we reached home, I ignored her, entered my room and locked the door.

And I let everything explode. My tears flowed like a stream down my cheeks. I didn't care if my mother heard me sob. I wasn't going to hold back.

Why did this have to happen?

Why?

I glanced at my window. I remembered something rustling in the bushes. But for some reason... I'm still drawn to that place.

"I'm sorry, mom. I just have to. I don't want to be stuck here anymore." I searched my drawer for a page and took a pen from my pencil holder. I scribbled a note on it and placed it on my desk.

I hurried to my wardrobe, searching for clothes. I changed into a tank top and kakki pants. I put on a matching jacket for the pants and a matching cap. Before I put on my cap I tied my hair into a tight pony tail.