18

IN THE BUSTLING streets of the city, where shadows danced with secrets and every alley whispered tales of its own, I was running my ass off trying to make it to work on time or at least be a little less late than I already am

IN THE BUSTLING streets of the city, where shadows danced with secrets and every alley whispered tales of its own, I was running my ass off trying to make it to work on time or at least be a little less late than I already am. I struggle with my wrinkled white dress shirt, barely managing to tighten the black tie around my neck as I keep a steady pace into the restaurant. I was racing against the clock, arriving a little late to work because I stayed up all night making sure Stone was okay when I didn't even have myself in check, but it was not my fault. How was I supposed to know that a man as big as him could be such a lightweight?

My apologies echo through La Crème like distant sirens. My manager, Mr. Thompson, a stern figure that reminded me of the grandpa from that one cartoon show with the dog who's always scared called me into his office before I could even grab my valet jacket for tonight.

I walked into his office with hesitation dragging at my feet, the scent of coffee mingling with the tension in the air. "Kylo, this lateness—it's becoming a pattern," Mr. Thompson began, his tone full of sternness and authority. I shifted uneasily, eyes downcast to the floor. "I know, Mr. Thompson. I'm sorry. It's just so much has been happening lately and I-

"Like what," He doesn't let me finish, a strong brow raising on his forehead. "what possibly could keep you so busy that you damn near miss an entire week of work."

"It hasn't been an entire week—" I try to explain to the man but he doesn't seem to care for my words nor that interested in me altogether. I don't even bother trying to explain myself, my eyes rolling elsewhere as I let out a deep sigh.

How the hell am I supposed to explain to my boss that I haven't been showing up to work on time these last couple of days because I've been keeping the most dangerous man in the city company? There isn't a way I can explain something like that to anyone without them either looking at me crazy or calling the police so my only option left is instead to shrug my shoulders at Thompson, eyes looking up to meet his strict stare. "So what now? You gonna fire me?" I asked him boldly.

Mr. Thompson stiffened, nose raising at me. "I should. It's what you deserve . . ." he said folding his arms across his bird chest. "but there's an event we're catering coming up and we need as many people as possible for it so count your blessings." he explained and I tried not to show it but I felt a sigh of relief come over me at his words.

"Look Kylo, I understand you're just a college student, trying to make ends meet. But this job—it's important. Dependability is key."

I nod at his words, swallowing the lump forming in my throat. If only he knew that school was quite literally the least of my concerns at the moment. I remember when I first started working here after Semaj pulled a few strings and managed to land me an interview. I had told Thompson how moving to New York and attending St Mary's was a dream of mine but the cost of tuition was a bit of a struggle. He sympathized with me about that and gave me the job right away. That was almost three months ago and it's crazy how in just a few short weeks all that managed to change — much has changed actually.