1. ᴛʜᴇ ᴘʜʏᴄᴏʟᴏɢʏ ᴏғ ᴅʀᴇᴀᴍs

[Name] walked circles in one of the many libraries. The atmosphere was meant to be calming, the soft lighting, smooth music, and piles and piles of books filled with knowledge.

Yet, they couldn't help but feel stressed. Nightmares plagued their dreams. Horrors that should never be thought of in heaven of all places.

The pit of screams that [Name] imagined hell as felt much more fitting for these types of dreams. Dreams that felt to real.

Every night it was something different, with the most common theme's being something that twisted [Name]'s stomach everytime they thought if it.

[Name] awoke, flexing their fingertips, or attempting to. The skin being a soft wood. Hollow. Tiny mechanisms allowed the fingers to swing back and forth without much control. Their arms were wood too, but yet at the elbows, a string was attached, latching up, a direction they couldn't force themselves to see.

[Name] tried to breathe as they realized they had no lungs, no organs. Nothing. They were paralyzed, in not only fear, but motion. No muscles.

Their legs swayed with the wind, not quite touching the ground.

Their face was yanked up by a strong hand holding their jaw. The light was blinding, who was it that was controlling them? What was their purpose.

The hand released their face, but it was stuck in the upright position. The hand moves, clicking buttons and flipping switches. Controlling [Name]'s every move. The strings controlling [Name]'s body moved, forcing them into different positions.

"Good. Good. So all's working?" A muffled voice spoke to 'the mighty hand'

"'course. You think I don't know how to work my own fuckin' machine?" The voice of the hand sassed.

"Of course not, sir!"

The noise was blocked out as more mechanics moved then stalled out. The hand beat the machine enough to get it 'up and running' again.

The hand yanked [Name]'s jaw to face him. "You're my favorite puppet."

Everytime they had a dream similar to that, they'd awake in cold sweat. It made [Name] dread to sleep. They didn't understand the meaning. How could heaven be described by others as paradise? This felt just like Eden all over again to them.

Constant anxiety. Worrying. Trying to fix the unfixable. The only problem, [Name] didn't even understand these concepts.

It's all they've ever felt. Maybe that's just what being human was, or perhaps being an angel? None of the others of heaven seem bothered, and if they were like [Name], then perhaps Adam was right.

They just needed to... "Chillax". Whatever that meant.

They didn't dare dwell on the other nightmares. Maybe if they dwell on those.. what's in them will come true.

They do wonder if maybe there's some way to stop the nightmares. They must just be illogical concepts [Name]'s subconscious mushed up randomly.

They felt like they didn't have much time. Adam was off for a bit, doing something [Name] didn't know, but they couldn't find the means to care. It was one of the few times they got 'free time.'

The only other times being the pathetic attempts Adam has of 'wooing' women. Most of the time just for sex.

Whatever that is.

Or the yearly thing Adam goes off and does. [Name] still hasn't figured it out.

[Name] genuinely didn't know what to do about the situation they found themself in. Their stomach felt like an acid pit, bubbly but in the bad way.

They grabbed a book, something about.. phycology..? [Name] didn't know but it had a section on dreams. Maybe it could help.

"[Name]?.." a voice called out.

"Huh?" [Name] turned towards the voice to find the librarian. She was a nice old lady, who loved libraries. It was her favorite thing, oddly enough.

"Are you okay dear? You seem stressed." The woman put a hand on [Name]'s shoulder.

"what- pff- im- I'm.." [Name]'s mind blanked. Were they okay?

"Ah there you are!" A loud familiar voice burst through the library and straight at [Name]. "Was looking for ya."

Adam crumbled up the drink and tossed it to the side. If littering was a crime in heaven, he'd be the number one perpetrator.

In shock [Name] dropped the book. The librarian took note of that, and the look of fear on [Name]'s face that shifted to a nervous smile. Something [Name] didn't even notice.

Adam pulled [name] into a side hug. The librarian raised an eyebrow. "[Name] you were saying?" She asked.

"What? Uh- it's- everything's all good! Why- why wouldn't it be?" [Name] falsely grinned.

"You sure..?" The librarian to a step towards [Name]. Adam tightened his grip. He groaned.

Adam rolled his eyes. "blah blah boring, c'mon let's go do something." He grinned before showing a face of disgust. "outside of.. this.. Library. Why do you even like these?"

"It's.. calming." [Name] took a deep breath when Adam released them from the overbearing hug.

"Right yeah course." He rolled his eyes before glaring at the librarian. The fuck was she asking [Name]? Why was she even talking to them?

Adam yanked [Name]'s wrist and dragged them off. [Name] waved the librarian a quick goodbye as Adam flew them away.