Part 7: A Swindle

Victoria awoke to an unfamiliar sensation, a discomfort she couldn't quite put a name to. She was in pain, her body aching, her chest throbbing, and her head pounding. But having never experienced these sensations before, she was at a loss for words to describe them.

The stillness of the night enveloped her as she painstakingly made her way to her parent's room. She clung to the walls for support, clutching her chest as if it were about to detach from her body. But just as she reached her destination, her world plunged into darkness.

Victoria's mother heard a loud thud outside the door. Black fluid oozed from Victoria's wounds, staining the carpet. Her mother, a hospital worker, knew the chaos of emergency rooms. But here, in their home, she felt helpless. So she called the only person who had always been there to care for the R.O.B.O.S, General Alden. She called, but he didn't answer, so she called the man who, rumor has it, can understand everything about the R.O.B.O.S. She called Mr. Greg O'Dunn.

"Hello, who is this?" Greg heard a worried voice on the line.

"Uh, hi, this is Amnika. I heard you are researching the R.O.B.O.S's anatomy, and I don't know what makes me think you can help, but my daughter Victoria is on the ground, passed out, and bleeding. Please, you have to help her!"

Greg heard the name and rushed down to the address that the lady had given Greg. When Greg got there, Victoria was hurt. He first bandaged her head and told the lady to come to his lab. When he got to the lab, he picked her up and laid her on a bed reserved for researching R.O.B.O.S. He put Victoria in the proper position so her body could ingest the amoxicillin-like viscous purple liquid to solve Victoria's condition. Amnika stood there, her tears unshed. Not human tears—something else. Her shoulders hunched, hands clasped, gaze intense. Greg recognized the same unwavering stare the other R.O.B.O. children had given him when he cradled Victoria as a child. 

Greg looked at Amnika curiously. "Why didn't you call the Hospital for R.O.B.Os, and How did you know to contact me?" he asked.

Amnika shifted her weight nervously. "Well, I don't know, I felt since the hospitals are typically overcrowded with our people. They wouldn't get to her on time. I remember meeting you at the R.O.B.O.S New Year's festival, where we celebrate the day we came to Earth. You specifically came to me, gave me your number, and told me to call you if I needed anything, and I did." Amnika smiled curtly at Greg, but she was nervous and amazed that she was standing before The Greg O'Dunn.

Greg's gaze softened as he listened to Amnika's nervous explanation. Her determination to seek help for Victoria touched him.

"You did the right thing," Greg assured her. "Hospitals are swamped, even with humans. And yes, I remember our encounter at the New Year's festival. You're resourceful, Amnika."

He led her out of the lab, down the sterile corridors. The fluorescent lights hummed, casting shadows on the metallic floor. Greg's mind raced—Victoria's ailment was puzzling, but he'd find answers.

"Will she be okay?"

"Yes, eventually, but she must be here a little while until she fully recovers. Did you notice any of her symptoms?"

"No, I work as a nurse to provide for my family, so I am often away from home. My husband, Zoran, is on disability and is typically home, so he may have noticed something, but he never told me. Why can't we take her home?"

"I'm sorry, Amnika. I'm not running the risk of infection in the community. Go home and get some rest," he said. "Victoria will be here, and I'll mail you the visiting hours."

Amnika nodded, gratitude in her eyes. As she left, Greg returned to the lab, where Victoria lay—a mystery waiting to unravel. He adjusted the monitors, studying her vitals."

Victoria awoke the next day, her mind clouded in confusion. She was in an unfamiliar environment, a sterile white room filled with equipment and a transparent door situated at the far end of the room. Suddenly, the sound of footsteps echoed from behind the door. Fear gripped her, and she quickly hid under her blanket. As the footsteps grew louder, she cautiously peeked out from her hiding spot, only to recognize the figure behind the door. "Greg O'Dunn? Am I dreaming?" she asked, disbelief evident in her voice.

Greg responded with a hearty laugh. "R.O.B.O.S don't dream, Victoria. You should know that!"

Victoria met his gaze, her expression blank. "That's not true. We do dream."

The smile on Greg's face vanished. "Really!?" he exclaimed, taken aback.

Victoria nodded in response.

"Intriguing! I'll have to look into that!" Greg declared before swiftly exiting the room.

Victoria was left alone with her thoughts. What an odd man, she mused, a giggle escaping her lips at the surreal experience of being in Greg O'Dunn's presence. This has to be a dream!

"Victoria's condition seems to have been overlooked for some time. The symptoms she's exhibiting should have been noticeable weeks ago. It typically takes a couple of weeks or more for the condition to progress to a stage where it impacts the lungs..." Greg's voice trailed off.

Matilda, observing from a distance, looked over Greg's shoulder. "What exactly am I looking at here?"

Greg turned to her, his expression serious. "You're looking at the flu strain ravaging her body. It's quite severe."

"So, what's the plan?" Matilda asked.

Greg turned to face her, a thoughtful expression on his face. "That's the million-dollar question, isn't it?"

Matilda looked at Greg, taken aback. "Wait, are you saying you don't know what to do?"

Greg raised an eyebrow at Matilda. "It's not that I'm clueless. It's just that I'm still figuring out our next move. I need to do more research to eliminate the virus before it evolves to infect other life forms that could threaten humans. But the real question bugging me is how she contracted it in the first place?"

"That's the real mystery," Matilda agreed.

"Exactly. I need to run checks on all R.O.B.O.S. If it's spreading, we'll have to quarantine the community."

Matilda nodded in agreement. "If you need me to involve the military, just give me the word."

Greg waved her off. "No military!"

"Why?" asked Matilda.

"Because I do not trust them. They are not trustworthy."

"I think so; they protected our country from many wars..."

Greg dismissed her again with a wave of his hand. "No military involvement!" his fury bubbled over."They started half of those wars and pointed fingers at others for their mess... Plus, General Alden is pulling the strings, not the Commander in Chief, contrary to popular belief. And the president is too busy smiling, lying, and shaking hands. So, I have every reason to be skeptical of them."

Matilda shook her head in disbelief. "What's your issue with General Alden?"

Greg's expression hardened. "That's none of your concern."

Matilda gave Greg a puzzled look, sighed, and decided to leave the room.

As Matilda exited the room, she couldn't help but glance back at Greg. His figure silhouetted against the sterile white of the room, his face a mask of concentration. She knew there was more to the story, more to Greg's distrust of General Alden. But for now, she decided to respect his privacy. As she walked down the hallway, her mind filled with questions and concerns. But one thing was clear - they were in uncharted territory, and the road ahead was uncertain. She could only hope they would find a way to navigate it for Victoria's sake.

The Evil That CameOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara