Part 10: The Schliemann Defense

Greg's hushed voice filled the cozy living room. "Matilda, I don't know what to do. Victoria... there's something wrong, I know it. She will be 16 soon, and we need to escape." His gaze darted around the room, searching for answers that weren't there.

"But why leave?" Matilda frowned, her brow furrowing

Greg hesitated, then blurted, "They're unlike the other R.O.B.Os, Matilda. Victoria... they're projects. I've seen the files." his voice shaky. "General Alden... he'll stop at nothing."

Greg leaned closer, his voice dropping to a whisper. "He sees me as a threat. The things I know..." He trailed off, his jaw clenching.

Matilda reached for his hand. Concern etched on her face. "Greg, tell me. We've always shared everything."

"There are forces at play, Matilda," Greg pleaded, his eyes locked on hers. "Secrets I can't explain. Not yet. Trust me, I will. But for now, I need to keep you safe."

Matilda pulled her hand away, a flicker of anger in her eyes. "Safe? You expect me to trust you unquestioningly? There's danger, experiments... and secrets you won't share!"

Greg's shoulders slumped. "Matilda, yes. In this case, I do. It's about Victoria and you. They're coming for her, and we need to be gone."

"Is she just an experiment to you, Greg, or a child you love? Lately, all your attention has been on her." Matilda's voice trembled, but her gaze was steady.

Greg's jaw clenched. "Matilda, I..." He searched her eyes, the answer catching in his throat.

"Do you love me, Greg?" Her voice softened. "Is there room for both of us? Are my needs not important to you?"

In that charged moment, the weight of his secret settled on Greg. Love wasn't just about protecting; it was about sharing burdens. "Matilda," he whispered, his voice thick with emotion, "there's always room for you.".

"I shouldn't be competing against a teenager," Matilda thought bitterly. Over the weeks, Victoria had become a focal point of Greg's attention and a wedge between them. She wanted to be selfless and prioritize Victoria's safety, but jealousy tightened around her heart.

Greg's urgency snapped her back to reality. "We need to leave as soon as possible," he declared, packing his belongings. 

"Where would we go?" Matilda's voice wavered.

"For right now, anywhere," Greg replied, his eyes determined. But Matilda knew it wasn't that simple. Leaving meant severing ties, abandoning her family, and stepping into the abyss.

"But what about my family?" she pressed. "I'm assuming we're going to space because that's the only way we can run away."

Greg's gaze softened. "I don't want you to get hurt," he said, his voice gentle. "Tobias won't hesitate to use you against me. It's safer with me than with you on your own. I can outsmart him, dodge him. If I leave you on Earth, they'll find you and use you for ransom. He knows I will have to come for you."

Matilda's thoughts were a whirlwind of emotions - love, peril, and self-sacrifice. The intricate dynamics between Greg, General Alden, and Victoria were still a mystery to her, but she knew one thing for sure - she couldn't help if she didn't survive.

"I don't know, Greg. What will I tell them?" Matilda's voice wavered.

"Whatever you need to," Greg replied, his eyes searching hers. His words were both a reassurance and a plea.