5. Rudi's Threat

After Anna promised Mia she'd go hunting with her, Mia seemed to feel a lot better. She was still acting a little flighty, but there was nothing Anna could do about that now. And at least she wasn't looking nervous in addition to slightly desperate.

Anna was just glad school was almost over. If Mia could just get through one last class, she could go home and wait for Anna to come up with a plan. She sat down in English and got out her book. As she flipped it open to the page she'd neatly tucked her homework into, she was aware that someone was staring at her. She looked around, trying to figure out who it was. Rudi Kaelin was staring at her from two isles away.

Anna stared back at her, looking as brave as she could and trying to figure out what Rudi could want.

Last year, Rudi had gotten it into her head that Anna and her friends knew what Luke, Zev, and Conner really were. Of course it was true, but all six of them had been very careful to hide that fact. Luke had been really hoping Rudi would drop it, but she hadn't. Actually, with what Mia was saying, she seemed to be even more suspicious lately. And with the way Rudi was staring at her, Anna had the feeling she was going to find out exactly what was on Rudi's mind after class.

The bell rang, and Anna got her books together as fast as she could, hurrying towards the door. Of course, Rudi was waiting for her.

"Can I ask you something?" she said as Anna attempted to pass by.

"Maybe later – I have to meet with someone." Anna told her.

She was going to meet up with Luke before his practice started. She thought about telling Rudi that; maybe it would get her to leave Anna alone. Or maybe she should tell her that she was meeting up with Carmine. They had the same track practice, and Anna needed to talk with her about going out tonight anyway. But Anna didn't say any of that; she figured Rudi didn't really need to know anyway. Besides, she tried to never talk to anyone who stared at her all period like Rudi had been – nothing good ever came of it.

"How long have you been dating Luke?" Rudi asked, ignoring Anna's suggestion to talk later.

"Why?" Anna asked, looking just a little confused. She didn't like where this was going, but it was still better than Rudi asking about Mia like she'd originally feared.

"I was just wondering how serious you guys were."

"I don't know..." Anna said vaguely. She'd never really thought about it like that. And even if she did, she was pretty sure telling Rudi about it would be the last thing on her mind.

"Do you think it's really a good idea? Seeing him so much?" Rudi pressed.

"Why not?" Anna asked. She hoped Rudi wouldn't take long to get to her point, especially since Anna had something much more important to worry about. A problem caused by Rudi, incidentally.

"He's not like you."

"Not like me how?" Anna asked, trying not to sound worried.

Did Rudi know what Anna was? Maybe that was why she was so anxious to talk to her. But that couldn't really be why she wanted them to stop seeing each other, could it? Although with the way Rudi was apparently harassing Mia, Anna wasn't quite so sure.

"I just mean that he's kind of...different."

So that was it. Rudi was worried because of what Luke was, not because of what Anna was. Anna tried her best not to look relieved.

"I don't mind." Anna shrugged, hoping that would be the end of it.

"I just don't see it being a long-term thing."