0 3 ; soren

˗ˏˋ ★ ˎˊ˗

˗ˏˋ ★ ˎˊ˗

   "EDITH, WHO WAS THAT?" SOREN HISSES, WASHING HIS HANDS IN THE SINK. The ink is like black blood. The water rasps from the tap. "You shouldn't have let her in, you know that. She could know that, well-"

"May I ask," Edith cuts in, pausing her knitting near the crackling fireplace, "why you are here? There was no warning about your arrival. Achilles could have told me, you could have told me."

"Achilles," hisses Soren, "is dead."

There is silence. Edith is not shocked, it seems, but she is quiet. She suddenly replies,

"I know. I, however, am gifted. I, however, can here his voice in my head."

"You are crazy," grumbles Soren. "Mental, possibly psychotic."

"I know," she says again, a glint in her eyes. "So are you."

Soren frowns. Edith smiles softly. There is a look of anger in his face, frustration, yet ignorance. Or so Edith thinks.

   "I can manipulate, Edith, you know this. I can twist, I can turn, I can fold the memory, create a mirage, kill a human and drown them in forgetfulness of their own death. I can make you a monster, Edith. I can manipulate my own eye to seem lost, confused. I can erase us, because I am a monster, I have my ways. I have studied every inch of human psychology, it is encrypted into my mind. I do not want to hurt Piper, or you, or anything. I am only here to find out why I am here, why I listened to whatever brought me here, Edith. You know this." His voice softens. "I also want to make sure that you are safe. I do not want you to fall."

Her eyes harden. "Why are you here?"

He shrugs, but smiles softly. "Why is there a sky and a sea and why do they never touch?"

˗ˏˋ ★ ˎˊ˗

   HE DOES NOT KNOW WHY HIS HAND IS LEVITATING, ALMOST TOUCHING THE BUTTON THAT SAYS "DE LA TORRE". He doesn't know what he is doing as he presses it and it faintly buzzes in his ear. He does not know what he is doing as he walks up two flours and knocks on the door. He does not know what to think when Piper answers, "Coming, Kat!" because he is sure that Piper does not know a Kat. But, apparently, she does. He hears cooing and a soft giggle and then he knocks on the door again, irritated. There is no sound. He knocks again.

"Alright, alright, I'm coming; I just had to-"

She opens the door.

   Soren has seen the birth of everything: the dawn, the petals of the sunrise, the lustres of the moonlight that always manages to entrance the humans. The trees, the thriving life on Earth, the animals, the universe, the skies that unfold above them, glittering an occasional inky-blue and bright aquamarine. It is all wonderous. He swears that he has seen the birth of Earth, the galaxy, the Milky Way. He has seen so many beautiful things, but none as beautiful as her.