0 7; piper

˗ˏˋ ★ ˎˊ˗

 ˗ˏˋ ★ ˎˊ˗

  KAT COMES OVER THE NEXT DAY. Her coffee curls are in a tight ponytail and her sandy skin crinkles around her eyes as she smiles. Helen is bunched up in her lap, occasionally playfighting with Jane. Piper stares absently out of the window. Her eyelids flutter as lustres of sunshine trickle through. Silence is gunmetal grey as it bites through the room, its claws scratching and pulling at the atmosphere of the silent room. Kat stares at her phone and looks up, finally setting it down.

"Piper, do you have socials?" she asks. Piper cocks her head, brows furrowed, eyes sparkling curiously. Kat's eyes widen as she hisses, "You don't know what socials are?" Helen jumps instantly out of her lap, screeching violently.

"Uh- Photo and the bird, right?" she asks sarcastically, just to indulge in Kat's horrified expression. "Relax, Kat, I know what Instagram and Twitter and Facebook are, ok? I just-" she pauses, "-I don't use them. Not really. Too-too overrated."

"See, sandpiper? We don't need the internet. Books are our friends. That stuff-" Marshall refers to his phone, "- is too overrated."

Piper swallows thickly. "Yeah," she mumbles, "over-overrated."

"Ok... Well, I think you should. Make friends- although Helen and I are the bestest friends in the world-" Jane hisses quietly, "and Janie, oh, aren't you-?"

"Bestest isn't a word-"

"Yes, I know that motherclucker, don't you dare interrupt me while I'm playing with my little Janie, oh, isn't she so cute-"

"First of all, just swear. Mother. Fucker. So damn simple. Second of all, your little Janie? You motherfucker- see, it's in a sentence-"

"-A phrase, technically-"

"-Shut up, motherfucker- see, it's a sentence- and she's mine, and, third of all, I'm going to wipe the paint off my hands and reading glasses, although they're dry, so I guess I'll have to wash them."

There's a beep. Kat downloaded Instagram. "Ok, I guess, I have no say in this shit."

"No, you don't-"

"Bye!"

"Wait!" Piper flinches. "Sorry, just, c'mon, sit back down and then- yes- and then pop your glasses on your head- mhm- and then-" Kat pauses for dramatic effect, "smile."

"Smile?"

"Smile."

"But I'm shit at smiling on command!" Piper whines softly.

"Stop swearing!"

"Fine," Piper grumbles and puts her glasses on.

"Sandpiper, come on, you need reading glasses. You keep saying that it gets fuzzy when you don't wear them," Marshall coaxed the young girl softly, showing her his glasses.