11

Chapter 11

Karan arrived at the luxurious hotel where he would be staying during his search for Tiya. Stepping out of the car, he was greeted by the warm morning sun and a sense of determination that drove him forward.

Inside the hotel, he was met by Vishal Singh, the private investigator he had hired to assist in finding Tiya. "Good morning, Mr. Shekhawat," Vishal greeted him respectfully.

"Good morning, Vishal. Any leads?" Karan inquired eagerly, hoping for some positive news.

Vishal shook his head solemnly. "Not yet, sir. I've dispatched my men to the orphanage your wife grew up in, but so far, there's been no sign of her. The security guard mentioned that no one resembling her has visited recently."

Karan nodded, his heart sinking at the lack of progress. After freshening up, he decided to take matters into his own hands. Renting a car, he drove to the orphanage where Tiya spent the first seven years of her life.

Standing in front of the iron gate adorned with a banner bearing the name "Umeed," he felt a surge of emotion. This place held the key to Tiya's past, and he was determined to uncover any clues that could lead him to her.

Karan entered the orphanage, where he was greeted by the receptionist. "How may I help you, sir?" the receptionist asked politely.

"I have come here to inquire about someone who was sheltered here almost 20 years ago," Karan replied.

"I'm sorry, sir, but we cannot disclose someone's personal information like this," the receptionist responded.

Karan felt frustration bubbling up inside him. He didn't have time to waste on bureaucratic procedures. "Listen, I am offering you 10 thousand rupees if you provide me with the information," he offered.

The receptionist hesitated for a moment before shaking his head. "Sorry, sir..."

Karan didn't give up. "30 thousand," he said firmly, and that was enough to sway the receptionist.

The receptionist, whose name was Udit, led Karan to the storeroom. There, he opened a cupboard marked "1988" and extracted several folders. "Sir, what is the person's name you are looking for?" Udit asked.

"Tiya. Date of Birth: 19 October 1998," Karan replied.

Udit searched through the folders for a while before finally extracting a blue folder. "Here, sir," he said, handing it to Karan.

He took the folder with trembling hands, his heart racing with anticipation. Slowly, he opened the folder, hoping to find some clue that would lead him to his beloved wife.

As Karan sifted through the contents of the folder, his heart sank with each passing moment. Among the documents, he found several pictures of a newborn wrapped in a purple cloth. These images depicted the dire circumstances under which the child had been discovered by the orphanage workers at the railway station.

In addition to the photographs, there was a detailed report attached,

Date 19 October 1998.

According to the report, a 2-3 day old female infant was located by a group of college students at the Haridwar railway station. The infant exhibited signs of severe malnutrition and was afflicted with a high fever, indicative of a critical medical condition. Furthermore, the report noted numerous markings on the newborn's body, suggestive of potential abuse endured during the initial days of her life. The infant was rushed to the nearest hospital. The infant was kept under observation for ten days before she was transferred to Dehradun and handed over to the orphanage.

As Karan absorbed the harrowing details of the report, his eyes welled up with tears. The sheer magnitude of his wife's early suffering weighed heavily on his heart, igniting a storm of emotions within him. How could anyone be so callous and heartless towards an innocent infant, he wondered, his chest tightening with a mixture of anguish and disbelief.

The realisation of the pain and adversity his wife had endured from the very beginning of her life struck Karan deeply.

As Karan sat in his car, tears streaming down his cheeks, he couldn't bear the weight of the heartbreaking revelations he had just uncovered. Clicking pictures of every document in the folder, he felt a surge of helplessness wash over him, culminating in a deep, guttural cry that echoed through the confines of the vehicle. His fists clenched in frustration, he pounded the steering wheel, releasing all the pent-up anguish and sorrow he had been harbouring within. “Why did she go through so much cruelty! She didn't deserve this!” He yelled as if blaming the universe. Only to realise he was also one of the people who added sorrows to her life.

A week passed, yet Karan remained no closer to finding his beloved wife. Today, determined to leave no stone unturned, he made his way to Mdda Park, clutching onto the faint hope of a clue that might lead him to Tiya. Approaching the security guard, he showed him a photograph of his wife, his voice trembling with desperation.

"Have you seen this woman in the past six months?" Karan asked, his heart pounding with anticipation.

The security guard scrutinised the photograph for a moment before shaking his head. "Nahi Sahab. Dekha bhi hoga toh yaad nahi. Bahut log aate hai roz. Kitno ko yaad rakhe," the middle-aged guard replied apologetically, his words echoing the harsh reality of his job.

Undeterred, Karan spent hours exploring every nook and cranny of the park, his eyes scanning the surroundings for any semblance of familiarity. Pulling out the picture of Tiya posing against the backdrop of the mountains, he couldn't help but smile through his tears. This was the place where his wife had once found solace as a child.

As Karan prepared to leave the park, his heart heavy with disappointment, he spotted another security guard on his way out. Without hesitation, he approached the guard, desperation evident in his voice as he showed him the picture of Tiya.

"Have you seen her around here?" Karan inquired, his voice tinged with hope.

The security guard narrowed his eyes as he examined the photograph, and then his expression softened. "Arey, yeh toh Tiya memsaheb hai. Meri biwi inke Ghar me kaam karti hai," the guard exclaimed, his words sending a jolt of disbelief through Karan. [ This Tiya madam, my wife works in her house.]

As Karan drove to the address given by the security guard, his heart pounded with anticipation. After almost seven months, he was about to reunite with his wife. He imagined the tender moment when he would hold her in his arms again, showering her with love and affection.

Stopping to buy a bouquet of daisies, her favorite flowers, Karan was determined to make the reunion special. Pulling up in front of the address, a quaint one-story cottage, his hands trembled with nervous excitement as he approached the doorbell.

After what felt like an eternity, the door creaked open, revealing a middle-aged woman holding a broom. "Ji, aap kaun?" she inquired, her eyes filled with curiosity.

"I am here to meet Tiya. Tiya Shekhawat. She is my wife," Karan replied urgently.

The woman's expression shifted, and she called out, "Kon hai, Rani?"

From inside, a weak voice responded, and Karan's heart stopped. Then, the figure of his wife emerged from the shadows.

But this was not the Tiya he remembered. Standing before him was a ghost of the woman he loved. Her once vibrant eyes were hollow and sunken, framed by dark circles that spoke of sleepless nights and endless sorrow. Her head was completely shaved, her once luscious locks gone.

Karan was speechless, frozen in shock and disbelief.

***********************************

Who's crying? Not me 🤧

Target 60 votes

Hare Krishna