Chapter 2 - Dr. Frost

October 1, 2015. Grimstone Asylum, Northern Pack Lands.

Mom parked the car in front of the gates and I stared at the asylum. It was huge, bigger than what I had expected. It was made of stone and the gates were made of iron. There were wolves patrolling the grounds, dozens of them. I couldn't see much from the gates, but from what I had learned, the ground the asylum was on was vast enough to accommodate hundreds of patients.

"Ready?" Mom asked and I tore my gaze away from the asylum.

"No,"

Dad turned in his seat and glanced at me. He had barely spoken to me the past whole week, and I knew why. He was disappointed in me.

"Fallon, remember, Grimstone Asylum is a facility, not a prison. You'll be treated and once you're all better, you can come back home." Mom repeated the same thing again.

"Your mother is right. It's just for a while." Dad finally broke his silence.

I pursed my lips and nodded before getting out of the car. There were two men in white uniforms standing near us already as if they were prepared to grab me if I turned in the wrong direction. Behind them, there was a small vehicle which was the only one that was allowed to go past the gates.

"Good morning, Mrs. Morrow," A woman, dressed in a white coat, came up to my mother as she stepped out. "I'm Dr. Helena Frost, and the alpha assigned me specifically for your daughter's case. We spoke on the phone earlier yesterday."

Mom shook hands with her and I watched the doctor. She was beautiful, with her blonde hair tied in a low ponytail and blue eyes.

"Ah, yes, Dr. Frost. Nice to meet you in person." Mom said to her.

She smiled at her and then glanced at me, "Fallon Morrow, am I correct?"

I nodded.

"Nice to meet you, Fallon." She held her hand out to me and I didn't hesitate to shake hers.

Dr. Helena Frost turned to my parents again and gestured at the vehicle behind her. "I suspected there'd be some resistance but since there's not, if you could all follow me, we can head inside. Some paperwork needs to be done before we admit Fallon into the facility."

Mom and Dad followed the doctor while I stood there, watching them. This was really happening and I was about to be admitted into an asylum. Snapping out of my thoughts, I followed my parents into the golf cart ambulance which took us straight through the gates and into the land where the asylum was built.

I hadn't looked up at anything about this place, at all. Now that I was here, maybe I should've.

We rode for a few minutes before reaching the main building which was big and tall. It was made of gray stones, small windows lined the walls and I could see people roaming behind the windows. The buildings were all connected, there were many of them.

Dr. Frost led us into the main building and into her office. She took a seat behind her desk and my parents and I sat opposite her.

There were some papers from the court that needed signatures and once they were signed, it was done.

I was officially a patient at Grimstone Asylum.

"I'll give the three of you some time to say goodbye," Dr. Frost stood up and I glanced at my parents. "Fallon, once you're ready, a nurse will come and escort you to your room."

Mom smiled at her and thanked her while I remained silent. Dr. Frost left her own office and I looked away from the door, back to my parents. They were going to leave me here, alone, for a whole year—or however long this was going to take.

I wasn't even ready for this.

I wasn't ready for any of this.

Before two weeks, I was perfectly fine. I came back home during the summer, after finally graduating. Natalie and I were looking at internships and she got one at the local newspaper, and I was about to also. I was going to intern at our middle school where my younger brother was studying.

It was going to be fun.

But now, I was here—at an asylum.

Mom stood up first and hugged me. I buried my face into her shoulders and closed my eyes shut. I didn't want to cry but I was about to. Dad came to me next and placed his hand on my shoulder. I pulled away from Mom and glanced at him.

He smiled at first and then patted my back, "Don't worry too much."

"I'm going to miss the both of you."

Mom wiped the tears from my cheeks and Dad cleared his throat. "We'll come whenever we can."

"Don't tell Owen that I'm here, or that I did anything. Just tell him that I went to study for another year and I'll be back soon." I requested them and Mom nodded.

"Of course, dear."

"Fallon Morrow," Someone knocked on the door and we all turned.

I glanced back at my parents and Mom hugged me once more. "Take care, okay. Listen to the doctors and do as they say. You'll be out before you know it."

I nodded again and Dad tapped my back once more. They said their final goodbyes and left the office. I watched them walk out and once they were gone, the nurse came inside. She introduced herself to me before taking me out of the office. I followed her into an array of hallways, one after the other before we reached a set of doors one which she opened up for me.

The room was empty inside. There was just a small bed, a mirror, a set of drawers, a table, and a couch near the window. None of my things were here.

"Where are my things?" I questioned the nurse.

"They'll be sent to you later in the day, once they're searched thoroughly."

I furrowed my brows, "Searched thoroughly?"

"Security reasons," She moved the notepad from her chest and placed it on the table before pulling out a few papers and setting them aside. "Here's the copy of the papers you've signed. Someone will come to you in a bit to take you for the mandatory check-up and then Dr. Frost will visit you before the end of the day. I'm providing you with a list of instructions that you must follow while you're staying here."

I took the papers and ran my gaze through them. It was a long list.

"If you've any questions, feel free to ask me or any one of the nurses at any time. My name is Joanna and you can find me in this block till six in the evening and then, there'll be a set of different nurses who'll take over."

She pointed at a button near the bed and continued, "This is the emergency alarm. You can press it anytime if there's an emergency. For example, if you're not feeling well or if someone is hurting you, or anything of sort. Everything else, you can find on the list."

I nodded, "Thank you."

Joanna smiled at me and left the room. Once she was gone, I sat down on the couch and went through the list she had given me.

Most of it were rules that I had to follow and some were instructions like schedules, therapy sessions, and medication times. There was a strict policy about shifting in the buildings and it was prohibited to do so as it could induce violence or danger. However, outside the buildings was permitted, but only with supervision.

There were activities mentioned that took place outside, in the cold grounds of the asylum. The asylum wasn't a prison and I was relieved to read that.

I placed the list aside and lied down on the couch, staring up at the ceiling. My phone had to be taken away along with my laptop. I could only get it back if Dr. Frost approved it.

Until then, it was just me and these four walls of my new room.

Read 20+ chapters ahead on Inkitt or Patreon:

Inkitt: www.inkitt.com/miakerr

Patreon: www.patreon.com/miakerr