Chapter 5

A/N Double update! Thought you guys deserved it <3 What do you think about the book so far?

As I woke up that morning, I felt a faint glimmer of hope string within me, like a tiny ray of sunlight peeking through the clouds after weeks of endless rain. It was subtle, almost imperceptible, but it was there–a gentle reminder that maybe, just maybe, things were starting to look up after a few weeks of grieving and sadness.

For the first time in a while, I didn't dread facing the day ahead. Instead, I found myself filled with a newfound sense of determination, a quiet resolve to take back control of my life and start afresh.   

As I got ready for the day, I couldn't shake the feeling that something–or someone–had helped me through the darkest days of my depression. I mean besides Sable. Though I couldn't quite put my finger on it, I felt grateful for whatever force had guided me back from the brink of it and given me the strength to carry on.

I wanted to do better, not just for myself, but for those who had stood by me through it all. And so, I resolved to make the most of the day ahead, starting with a breakfast date with Sable.

As we sat across from each other in our favorite cafe, the warmth of Sable's smile and the sound of her laughter really did lift my spirits in a way that I hadn't thought possible. For a brief moment, it felt like the weight of the world had been lifted from my shoulders, replaced by a sense of lightness and joy.

"So, how are you feeling today?" Sable asked, before taking a sip out of her iced latte.

I hesitated for a moment, unsure of how to put into words the roller coaster of emotions I had been experiencing. "Honestly..I'm feeling rather good today. You know, I think I'm finally ready to move on from this moment in my life. I'm still not over Liam, I think it'll take a bit longer, but today, I feel great." I opened up to her about my struggles and my newfound determination to move forward. Sable listened intently, offering words of encouragement and support that warmed my heart more than she could ever know.

We continued to talk about things going on in her life and mine until she excused herself to the restroom.

I fidgeted with my little Coraline key-chain. Even though it was gifted to me by Liam, I had no intentions of tossing it away, simply because I loved the Coraline movie so much growing up. I looked up for a split second, catching a glimpse of a man, caught by the sunlight or something, staring at me. I looked back up, but as quickly as I caught sight of him, he was gone. I furrowed my eyebrows, looking around the cafe to see if anyone had seen what I had. Everyone in the cafe was busy doing their own things, as if there was nothing there at all.

Sable sat back down, and as we finished our morning date and parted ways, I headed to work. Sable worked for a small design studio, and they were almost like family there. I was happy for her as she got to do what she loved and with lovely coworkers. Not to mention how she always wore the best looking fashion even if it were for casual occasions, they fit perfectly.

—--------

It was during a brainstorming session at work that inspiration struck. As my colleagues discussed potential business ideas, a thought occurred to me–a simple yet innovative solution that could help our company streamline its operations and increase efficiency.

Hesitating for a moment, unsure if my idea would be well received, I raised my hand and shared my proposal with the group. Sometimes I had forgotten that I was also a part of the management group.

"I have a proposal, Ms. Chadwick," I stated firmly, all eyes were now on me. "How about we implement automation technologies that could streamline the repetitive tasks and processes, allowing employees to focus more on the strategic and value-added activities. This could help lessen the enormous amounts of work put onto workers on a daily basis, and this includes automating things like data entry, document processing, and routine administrative tasks using software solutions or even robotic process automation." The room was silent. Mason had a look of agreement on his face, a silent smile.