Chapter 4

Chapter 4
In his over-a-decade-long medical career, including the cases he saw from undergraduate through his PhD, Li Sui An had rarely witnessed someone like Ji Ruan, who felt nauseous during a hearing test.
He practically leaped out of his chair, urgently calling out, "Lily, Lily! Quick, the vomit bag!"
Lily, who had never encountered such a scenario, fumbled to retrieve a vomit bag from a drawer and hurriedly handed it to Ji Ruan.
To everyone's surprise, despite Ji Ruan's delicate appearance, he possessed an unwavering mental fortitude. He clenched the vomit bag, desperately trying to suppress the urge to be sick in front of others.
He held back to the point that his face turned pale and his shoulders trembled, as if believing that he just had to endure this short bout of discomfort.
But it wasn't something one could simply bear. Eventually, even Li Sui'an couldn't stand to watch and whispered, "Let it out, child..."
Lili also carefully reached out, giving Ji Ruan a gentle pat on the back.
That touch seemed like the last straw. Ji Ruan's spine tensed and he let out a retch into the bag.
Both Lili and Li Sui'an sighed in relief almost simultaneously.
Ji Ruan rarely ate much. Having barely touched his breakfast because of a restless night, there wasn't much to throw up. After a while of dry heaving, he slumped in the chair, gasping for breath.
His stomach churned and his mind felt foggy. The woozy sensation transported him back to the days when his illness was severe, with bouts of vomiting caused by strong medication.
The torment during the latter stages of his terminal illness was beyond description. It felt more like a premature descent into hellish torture than living among the living.
Even a fleeting recollection would send shivers of terror down Ji Ruan's spine.
After what felt like an eternity, a warm hand settled on Ji Ruan's damp back. The comfort brought him back to reality from his nightmare.
He turned slightly to see Gu Xiuyi squatting next to him. Maintaining a polite distance, Gu took a napkin from Lili and handed it to Ji Ruan, saying,
"You're okay now. Wipe?"
Ji Ruan's fingers were stiff, and his reaction was sluggish. He believed he had heard Gu Xiuyi but couldn't muster a response.
The corner of Gu Xiuyi's mouth was drawn tightly, his deep eyes reflecting only Ji Ruan's image, devoid of discernible emotions.
He waited quietly for a moment. Then, lowering his gaze briefly, when he looked back at Ji Ruan, his lips curved in what might be seen as a comforting gesture.
At least, it made him appear somewhat kinder.
"It's alright," he said.
Ji Ruan blinked, slightly disoriented, just as a soft tissue gently touched the skin around his eyes, faintly feeling the warmth of Gu Xiuyi's fingertips.
It was then that he realized his bout of vomiting had even brought tears to his eyes.
Gu Xiuyi's motion of wiping away tears was as brisk and efficient as his usual mannerisms, lacking any prolonged comforting tenderness, ensuring Ji Ruan didn't feel uncomfortably close.
Once he ensured Ji Ruan's face was tear-free, he stood, folding the tear-streaked tissue and tossing it into the trash bin. He then said to Lili, "Take him to the restroom to freshen up."
Lili, who had been in a daze, took a moment before helping Ji Ruan up and leading him out.
After the door closed, there was a brief silence in the examination room. Unlike the tense expressions of Song Ling and others, Gu Xiuyi remained poised and calmly took a seat.
Li Sui'an returned to his desk, pulling out a tissue to dab away his sweat.
Gu Xiuyi took the glass of water passed by Song Ling. Holding the porcelain cup by its handle, he took two subtle sips before inquiring, "Is this a normal reaction for him?"
Taking several gulps of water, Li Sui'an finally regained his composure, leaning back in his chair: "It's common to feel dizzy during sound tuning. Some might feel nauseous or even vomit. But -"
Gu Xiuyi looked up, awaiting further clarification.
"Well, those I've seen vomit were usually very young children. Their first exposure to sound might frighten them. As for Ji Ruan... let's just say he's exceptionally sensitive."
Gu Xiuyi set his cup down, resting it lightly on his crossed knees, "Is this a serious issue? Does he need to be hospitalized?"
Chuckling, Li Sui'an replied, "No, that's not necessary. Who gets hospitalized just for a device tuning? He'll be fine after a good night's rest."
"But the boy really does have a frail constitution," Li Sui'an remarked, swirling the water in his glass, "I wonder how he managed to grow up."
"Our boss raised him," Song Ling responded with an even tone in the spacious room.
There was a clatter.
Li Sui'an had spilled his water again.
"Wait, what?" Distracted and not bothering to clean up, he leaned on the table, almost accusingly, "Weren't you two contractually married?"