24

Chapter 24
Ji Ruan's hand had gone numb.
In his previous life, he'd never learned to swim, and he was even less likely to in this one. The feeling of being out of control in the water was terrifying.
"I can't," Ji Ruan pointed to the external device behind his ear, "If I go into the water, I'd have to remove this and then I won't be able to hear."
"You don't necessarily have to learn," Gu Xiuyi smiled, "Isn't it good just to relax and have fun?"
His tone was light, and between the words, there was an unintentional carefreeness, mixed with a subtle persuasion.
Ji Ruan felt a slight tug at his heart.
He suddenly understood why experts emphasize learning through play.
Initially, when Gu Xiuyi proposed teaching him, Ji Ruan only felt that "learning" was a daunting task and instinctively resisted. But knowing the other's intention wasn't particularly goal-oriented, he felt more relaxed.
Even though "learning through play" might not exactly apply to him anymore, seeing the ripples in the water so close, Ji Ruan gradually felt an urge to try.
After all, the pleasure of swimming freely in the water was something he had rarely experienced in his barren life.
Ji Ruan licked his lips, "But I don't have swimming trunks."
The pool wasn't open to outsiders, and there didn't seem to be a place to buy any.
Gu Xiuyi looked into his eyes; the shimmering water reflected in Ji Ruan's eyes, twinkling softly and captivatingly.
He knew Ji Ruan was persuaded.
Often, Ji Ruan was an easy-to-understand child. He didn't seem to deliberately hide his emotions, or perhaps, he was too lazy to. He would do whatever he felt like, as long as it made him happy in the moment.
So, this frankness would, unknowingly to him, make him appear incredibly innocent and pure, like the refreshing shaved ice of summer, making those who see him feel a sudden flutter in their hearts.
"You can just wear regular shorts," Gu Xiuyi pushed himself out of the pool, "You brought some, right?"
He purposely moved a bit farther up, but a few droplets still splashed onto Ji Ruan's face, glistening on his brows and under his eyelids.
Without much thought, Gu Xiuyi, out of habit, pinched Ji Ruan's chin to wipe it off, forgetting his hands were still wet.
As a result, Ji Ruan's face became drenched. He looked up at him, his expression somewhat dazed.
The water seemed to have bewildered Ji Ruan, he stared blankly at Gu Xiuyi, "...Are you playing a prank on me?"
When he's dazed, his eyes look especially large, filled with disbelief that's highly contagious.
Gu Xiuyi released his grip, holding back a laugh as he observed Ji Ruan's state, "Sorry, I forgot to dry my hands."
"......"
Ji Ruan carelessly wiped his face with his sleeve. Standing up from his crouched position made him momentarily dizzy. He was accustomed to this sensation and steadied himself after a brief sway.
Gu Xiuyi reached out to help him, the dampness from his hand soaking Ji Ruan's sleeve, sticking coldly to the skin.
Ji Ruan instinctively held onto Gu Xiuyi's arm, feeling the firm muscles beneath that were warm and wet. He reflexively jerked back.
He closed his eyes briefly, waiting for the black mist in his vision to clear, "...Perhaps, you should put on a shirt?"
"I know," Gu Xiuyi's voice sounded calm, "Let's wait for you to recover first."
They stood close, Ji Ruan could feel Gu Xiuyi's body heat and the moist air around him.
Ji Ruan's breathing lightened unconsciously. As his vision became clear, he took two steps back, breaking free from the almost embracing proximity, "...I'm fine now."
"Mhm," Gu Xiuyi, appearing much more composed than Ji Ruan, picked up a bathrobe and draped it around himself, loosely tying the sash, "Go change your shorts."
It seemed he was only holding Ji Ruan half-embraced out of genuine concern, displaying his chivalry and decorum.
Ji Ruan touched the tip of his ear, pausing for a couple of seconds before following.
When he went to the room to change his shorts, for some unknown reason, Ji Ruan impulsively put on a tank top as well.
The tank top and shorts were a matching set. Made of thin fabric, they were printed with a deep blue oil-painting style seascape, one of Ji Ruan's summer pajama sets.
When he emerged, Gu Xiuyi's eyebrows subtly raised, but he said nothing and led Ji Ruan back to the pool.
"Before getting in, wet your body to acclimate," Gu Xiuyi advised.
Ji Ruan sat at the pool's edge, his calves submerged in the water. On hearing the advice, he splashed some water onto his neck and forearms.