7

Chapter 7
The process of obtaining the certificate was exhausting, and by the time it was completed, they had missed their lunch hour.
Hunger made Ji Ruan lethargic, and he slumped weakly in the back seat. Gu Xiuyi, on the other hand, showed no signs of fatigue, sitting upright and poised.
Gu Xiuyi had given the driver the day off. Now, Song Ling was the one driving. After buckling his seat belt, he glanced at the rearview mirror and asked, "Which way to go, boss?"
Gu Xiuyi glanced at his wristwatch and inquired Ji Ruan, "What would you like to eat?"
What to eat?
Ji Ruan was so hungry that he felt like eating anything and couldn't immediately decide.
Gu Xiuyi waited a moment but, as expected, received no reply.
He was almost getting used to Ji Ruan's whimsical way of responding. Without looking, he reached out to brush the hair behind Ji Ruan's ear.
But this time, he couldn't touch it.
Ji Ruan intercepted his hand halfway.
Looking up, Gu Xiuyi found his wrist grasped by Ji Ruan's two hands. Each finger was delicately shaped. While Gu Xiuyi's complexion was on the fairer side among most men, Ji Ruan's skin was even more porcelain-like, as if he had never been under the sun.
Ji Ruan pursed his lips, seeming slightly helpless, "I heard you this time, I just haven't decided yet."
"......"
Gu Xiuyi withdrew his hand, instinctively rubbing his wrist, "Then take your time to think."
The place on his wrist where Ji Ruan had touched still felt cold. Gu Xiuyi was a bit startled; this was the first time he'd encountered someone with such a low body temperature.
...However, he hadn't exactly had much physical contact with many people in the past.
Perhaps it's just because his own body temperature is higher.
Leaning against the chair and pondering for a moment as he gazed out of the window, Ji Ruan glanced at his phone and said, "I feel like having fried chicken."
Gu Xiuyi, also engrossed in his phone, responded in an indifferent tone, "Don't be ridiculous."
"How is that being ridiculous?" Ji Ruan turned to face Gu Xiuyi, his hands supporting himself on the seat, "Can't I have fried chicken?"
Only then did Gu Xiuyi direct his attention to Ji Ruan, realizing the young man seemed quite serious.
"Don't you think it's greasy?" Gu Xiuyi asked.
"Not at all," Ji Ruan tilted his head slightly, his large eyes looking straight into Gu Xiuyi's, "Well... perhaps it might get greasy if I eat too much. But the last time I had it was back in junior high. I can barely remember how it tastes now."
He seemed earnest in discussing this with Gu Xiuyi, shifting slightly so that his soft hair brushed against the chair, "Can't I indulge myself for once?"
Half of what he said was true, and the other half... who knows? From the story, one couldn't determine the last time Ji Ruan had fried chicken. But in reality, due to his continuous illness, he had avoided fried foods. Now that he had a relatively healthy body, Ji Ruan was eager to give it a try.
Gu Xiuyi silently observed Ji Ruan.
He had lived his entire life without tasting fried chicken and couldn't understand why today's youth were so enamored with such heavy-flavored and unpalatable fried foods.
But if Ji Ruan equated eating fried chicken with "indulging," then was a few pieces of inexpensive chicken such an extravagance?
Pondering this, Gu Xiuyi found it hard to voice any objection.
Ji Ruan was someone who typically didn't have many desires, but when he wanted something, he had to have it. Moreover, he was always somewhat elusive, revealing only part of what he truly felt.
He sat back relaxedly, mentioning offhandedly, "It's Thursday today."
What's special about Thursday? Gu Xiuyi was a workaholic, working year-round without breaks, so even official holidays held no particular significance for him.
"And so?"
"Well, it's KFC's 'Crazy Thursday' promotion."
"......"
"What's that supposed to be?" Gu XiuYi genuinely felt there was a generation gap.
Why the fuss about Thursdays? If you're bored, might as well work overtime.
Ji Ruan pondered, "Some sort of promotion?"
Gu XiuYi turned away, "I don't eat promotional stuff."

Ji Ruan chuckled at Gu XiuYi's natural-born, bossy pickiness. "Oh, come on, it's just an event. An event."
Just a tactic for businessmen to profit, nothing more.
Glancing at the dimples Ji Ruan flashed while laughing, Gu XiuYi thought only lively young ones like him would get amused so easily.
Ji Ruan, having had his laugh, resumed staring at Gu XiuYi. If Gu XiuYi remained noncommittal, he would keep gazing.
Gu XiuYi could hardly bear it.
Wouldn't such big eyes get sore from being wide open?
He diverted his gaze and pinched the bridge of his nose in exasperation. "Alright, alright. Song Ling, find a nearby place."
·
Fifteen minutes later, Gu XiuYi sat, expressionless, in a booth on the second floor of a KFC in the business district.
Dressed in a full suit straight from a company meeting, he seemed out of place amidst the casual ambiance, drawing many curious glances.
But the word "regret" didn't exist in Gu XiuYi's dictionary. He was there as promised, to accompany Ji Ruan for fried chicken. What others thought didn't matter.
The lunch rush was over. Fewer customers were around, but most of them were energetic students-some doing summer homework, others on dates.
After getting his number, Ji Ruan changed back into his T-shirt and shorts. Now sitting across Gu XiuYi, scanning a QR code to order, he blended perfectly with the atmosphere.
Gu XiuYi, on the other hand, felt as out of place as a needle in a haystack.
Although "regret" wasn't in his dictionary, still...
Gu XiuYi took a deep breath, pulled out his phone, and browsed financial news, trying to stay composed.
Just as Ji Ruan was about to order a combo meal, he suddenly recalled spending a whopping 21 yuan earlier today to treat Han XiaoLin to beef noodles.
While Gu XiuYi was engrossed in the allure of financial news, an intense and undeniable gaze from across caught his attention.
Lifting his head, he met Ji Ruan's soft, water-like eyes, their long lashes quivering ever so slightly.
Gu XiuYi: "?"
Ji Ruan spoke with the casual tone of chatting with a close friend: "I remember you mentioning you'd treat me to a meal?"
Gu XiuYi: "..."
He never said that.
But had Ji Ruan mastered some long-lost art of unblinking persistence? If Gu XiuYi didn't look away, Ji Ruan could keep staring.
Staring until your heart softens.
With a sigh, Gu XiuYi handed over his phone.
Ji Ruan's dimples immediately showed as he smiled, gratefully taking it, "Thanks for the treat."
He quickly scanned the code, adding the desired combo to the cart, then asked Gu XiuYi, "What would you like?"
Gu XiuYi watched as Ji Ruan's slender fingers swiftly tapped on his phone, their tips illuminated in a luminous glow, appearing snow-white against the screen.
Having no interest in fast food, he casually remarked, "Just coffee."
Ji Ruan looked up, "Is that all?"
"Mm-hmm."
As it turned out, the coffee from the fast-food restaurant didn't suit Mr. Gu's palate. It was too sweet.
He took a symbolic couple of sips before setting it aside, resting his chin on his hand and watching Ji Ruan eat.
Ji Ruan munching on a chicken leg seemed slightly different from his usual dining demeanor. Although still seated upright and eating gracefully, his cheeks were puffier, he wiped his mouth with more vigor, and his lips were pressed to a rosy hue.
Gu XiuYi stared at that reddened lip for quite some time before asking out of the blue, "Why do you always press your lips so hard?"
"What?" Ji Ruan didn't catch that, his expression blank.
Gu XiuYi suppressed a cough behind his hand and looked away, "Never mind. Just eat."
Being summer vacation, the place was filled with student couples. Gu XiuYi gave the room a casual glance, then, as if something struck him, he tapped the table.
Ji Ruan looked up.

Gu XiuYi: "After we eat, come with me somewhere."
·
In the scorching heat, the air conditioning in the shopping center was set very low. Upon entering, Ji Ruan started coughing again.
As Gu XiuYi led Ji Ruan forward, hearing his weak coughs, he finally couldn't resist patting Ji Ruan on the back, "What's with your throat?"
Clutching his neck with a furrowed brow and a hoarse voice, Ji Ruan replied, "The air conditioning is too cold. And the fried chicken... might've been a bit salty..."
Recalling the chicken bones Ji Ruan had been munching on, and the large glass of iced cola, Gu XiuYi snorted, "Serves you right."
With all that spicy food, who else but Ji Ruan would feel this way?
Ji Ruan: "............"
Gu XiuYi led Ji Ruan into a luxury jewelry store. Ji Ruan blinked, confused: "?"
With an air of nonchalance, Gu XiuYi said, "Buying wedding rings."
"Ah..." Ji Ruan furrowed his brows, leaning against the wall, "But I'm so tired, I don't want to move."
Whether it was because they had been to many places today or because he was too focused on the chicken leg earlier, Ji Ruan now felt exhausted and just wanted to sleep. The cold air here also made his throat uncomfortable.
Gu XiuYi eyed Ji Ruan's pale lips, unflinchingly stating, "I didn't ask you to move. Sit and choose."
Though it was supposedly to choose Ji Ruan's wedding ring, in reality, it was Gu XiuYi who was doing all the picking, and he was incredibly particular and hard to please.
Ji Ruan casually pointed out a few designs, but none met Gu XiuYi's satisfaction.
Even the latest designs highly recommended by the store manager failed to capture Gu XiuYi's interest. In the end, he requested a custom design.
Ji Ruan reclined slightly on the sofa, sipping water from a glass. From his angle, he could see the profile of Gu XiuYi, his expression deeply engrossed.
Yet, such a serious demeanor seemed out of place for their marriage in name only. Distracted, Ji Ruan suddenly felt a growing discomfort.
Seizing the opportunity when the manager went to fetch the designer, Ji Ruan gently tugged at Gu XiuYi's sleeve. Gu XiuYi turned, leaning subtly toward him, "What is it?"
Ji Ruan bit his lip and whispered into his ear, "We aren't really getting married. Do we need to take this so seriously?"
Gu XiuYi stared at him for a moment without explaining their marriage situation, only stating:
"This is something we'll be wearing for the next three years. Do you want something you don't like?"
Ji Ruan was taken aback.
The depths of Gu XiuYi's eyes were profound. When looking closely at someone, even if they're calm like a still pond, they reveal an unparalleled intensity.
It was as if Ji Ruan suddenly understood why the original character was so infatuated with Gu XiuYi.
For someone already somewhat smitten, when faced with such an intense gaze, it's hard not to wonder if maybe, just maybe, the other person might care a bit for them as well.
Fortunately, he wasn't the Ji Ruan from the original story.
Releasing Gu XiuYi's sleeve, Ji Ruan smiled, "I understand."
The designer, following Gu XiuYi's requests, had drawn several preliminary sketches. Ji Ruan, having lounged on the sofa waiting, felt drowsy. When Gu XiuYi pulled him to discuss the designs, his eyes were bleary.
"These are just the basic designs," Gu XiuYi explained, "Choose a few, and they'll refine the detailed drafts."
The designer also eagerly awaited Ji Ruan's input, his gaze earnest.
Yet, faced with a row of sketches, Ji Ruan was at a loss. He never thought his taste could be so undiscerning, struggling to distinguish between the designs.
After a brief stalemate, Ji Ruan gave in.
Suddenly leaning against Gu XiuYi, chin resting on his shoulder, he turned to the designer with a gentle smile, his voice soft:
"He'll decide."
No man can resist the allure of taking charge in front of others.
Hardly had Ji Ruan's voice fallen when Gu Xiuyi's body subtly stiffened. He then seemed to stand even straighter, his expressionless face radiating an inner clarity and refreshment.
The designer suddenly beamed with admiration, "You two are so in love!"

A note from the author:
Ruan Ruan's three go-to excuses - "I didn't hear", "I don't want to move", and "Let him decide".
Ruan Ruan: He's pleased.
Mr. Gu: I'm not. Do you see any expression on my face?