HAPPY BIRTHDAY

[1]

I was going through my cool down from my workout when my dad made an appearance.

"Working out on your 21st, Royse? You're godfather would be disappointed."

"With Ron, Ran, and Rad out of town, I'm bored."

"Well get cleaned up, I'm taking you to the club."

"Sure dad, I'll be ready in thirty."

Dad nodded before walking out of our home gym. I finished my set of stretches and sighed. I hated the idea of spending my birthday at dad's gentleman's club. There's no choice as it's a Daughtler tradition to be inducted to the ranks of toxic masculinity. I took the elevator to my suite and stepped into my closet to grab clothing fit for the club's atmosphere. Black suit, navy blue dress shirt, minus the neck tie. After my shower I gelled my hair, dressed and slipped on loafers. I checked the time to see I had five minutes to spare before dad would start yelling. I took the elevator to the foyer where dad and the limo would be waiting. When I reached dad, he glanced over my appearance and thankfully nodded his approval. I shook my head and followed him outside into the vehicle. Over the drive dad poured two glasses of forty-five year old Scotch and handed one to me. 

"Here's to my youngest, joining the ranks of men. I look forward to seeing you rise among your brothers." He clinked my glass and waited for me to take the first sip.

Though I was familiar with the taste I took a short sip as I'm not a fan of hard liquor. I returned my dad's hawk-like stare, hoping my action satisfied him. He awarded me with a rare grin before taking a prolonged sip. Once the man to man drink was completed we spent the thirty minute ride in silence. When the vehicle stopped I squirmed as I waited for our chauffeur, Ameila to open the door. As dad enjoyed showing off his wealth in public.

I exited and tried not to smile at Ameila as dad forbid us from acknowledging our female staff. She gave a half nod so as to not catch dad's attention before she drove off to park. As we entered the double doors into the study we were bombarded with greetings. After dad ordered us another drink, dad clinked his glass and I cringed.

"Brothers and fellow members, I'd like to toast to my youngest son, Royse. He's twenty-one now a man and eligible to join our ranks. Happy birthday, son and welcome to the brotherhood."

A chorus of "happy birthdays and welcome to the brotherhood" roared around me. I pasted a smile for appearances sake as I stood.

"Thank you for the introduction dad. Here's to many more years of following in your footsteps." I raised my glass toward dad before taking a sip.

Elated cheers sounded through the room as dad's friends slapped him on the back. I turned as I couldn't stand the idea of dad believing he deserved praise for raising me. Once everyone settled down I took it as my chance   to weave my way over to the bar. I sat, but before I could ask the female attendee placed a clear bubbly drink in front of me. As I attempted to tell her I didn't order, I heard the snap of a finger. I turned to my right to see a feminine looking guy in a too large suit. I groaned internally and moved over to sit next to them.

"What the hell are you doing here, Simmy?"

"You got a problem with me joining you on your birthday celebration, Roy?"

"I'm happy you're here, but there'll be hell if you're discovered."

"What kind of friend would I be if I didn't help you celebrate?"

"Please, you're here to spy."

"You got me. But you know the club deserves to be outed for what secretly transpires on the lower third floor."