Chapter 10 - Final.

LENNOX

Burn. 

They would all burn to ash and dust to be blown away into nothing. Didn't they know they were blessed? That he was gifting them the sweet release of fire?

They were clean now. Clean from life and their tortured bodies. Clean from their past disgressions. It was a gift. A gift! And yet they still came at him. Every step he took cindered the ground beneath into a red hot crust. A heat drawn from the core of the realm itself and powered through his veins.

Where was she? Where was his mate? Where was his flower?

Both demon and monster shared a single thought pattern. To find their love, to find their reason for burning so brightly and return her home with them. Kiss her feet and beg forgiveness for failing her. For letting her be hurt.

Lennox was in a stupor of inner thoughts and righteousness as he melted and burned everything in his path. Step after step he was closing in on the tree. One the colossal carving as it twisted to life slowly. Its white eyes felt as though they were locked on him as the tree groaned again.

He should have covered his ears, the sound shaking his bones it was so loud but he kept trudging along. Fighting his way to where his instincts pulled, where the light shone the brightest on him.

His mate. His fairy. Hishishishishis–

In slow motion, or perhaps just taking so much energy to do, the carving lifted its hand forward, the cupped motion tilting down to show a contraption in the middle of vines and long-bladed grass. A cocoon.

Lennox's core burned hotter, the yellowed flames coating his body twisting from yellow to green, green to a whitened shade of blue. His flower. They were so close, so close to retrieving her he could feel it. Then he too, could be clean. Her touch, her voice, just a glance from her would rinse the filth from his soul.

With another step, everything seemed to come to a halt. A hand broke through the strange cocoon, reaching into the air. Everything around him froze. Every ghoul stopped in its tracks to twist their bodies as if beckoned.

Smoke barreled into Lennox, a blackened creature with a shock of white flittering by him and ahead as it took off forward. Gritting his teeth behind the mask, the demon would never be beaten to his mate.

"Mo.. Th..r."

"Mothe..."

"Mother. Mother. Mother!"

The wails of those around them grew stronger, like children crying to be held and comforted, frightened, distorted voices as the ghouls dragged towards the tree's base, hands lifting out to the gigantic carving like it might swoop them in and keep them safe.

Again, the cocoon cracked, the gap opening wider as a flurry of butterflies funnelled out in a rush. The sheer amount of them blurred his view of the creature climbing from the dismay until two beautiful wings expanded in a snap, a glittering show of dominance.

My precious flower.

It was a sigh within his head, a voice filled with wonder and awe. Devotion that transcended conscious thought at the very sight of her.

ORIAN

Streaking through piled ghouls in his way, the demon rushed towards her. Towards his starlight, towards the beacon that called to him, the fairy that claimed everything in him. Several butterflies clung to her skin as she rose a hand out in front of herself. Flowers were grown into her skin, petals sprouted here and there and a large death moth rested between her brows, its huge wings covering lilac eyes he craved to see. White hair shimmed behind her in a breeze.