Chapter 10

Getting up has never been more difficult than when your completely embraced by another person and don't want the moment to end, but also the weight of his arm had mine going to sleep. The morning sunlight was seeping through the window and that was all the encouragement I needed to get to work. I have never felt vulnerable before and I never want to feel so helpless again so I need to prepare myself. I slid from under Finn's arm, trying not to wake him, freezing when he wriggles a little. I write a little note and place it on the bed next to him, not wanting to worry him. I pull on my gym clothes from Friday and go straight to the armoury. I need to practice if I have any shot of any shot of ever not being a damsel. I know it will take time but practice makes perfect and I need all the practice I can get, starting today. I pick up the daggers, a bow and a sword and head out to the target. Throwing the daggers consistently at the target, improving my aim with every shot, increasing the distance. Again, and again until I moved on to the bow. Drawing the bow, like Hali taught me. pushing all I had into it.

"Getting there." A familiar voice sounded from behind. I turn to see my Gran lingering by the door.

"How did you find me?"

"The guard saw you head out here. He's been keeping an eye on you to make sure you don't take your eye out."  I look over her shoulder as the guard makes a hasty exit.

"So not doing too well then." I laughed, placing the bow on my shoulder.

"You haven't lost an eye yet have you?" she deadpanned, raising a brow.

"I suppose not," I laughed again.

"Come here. I bought you something." She gestures to follow her back into the armoury.

"These are for you." She opens the bag up and reveals her armour, a sword, daggers and shield. "They looked after me when I needed them. Now its time for me to hand them down to you. This battle is coming. From what happened yesterday, I don't think there is any way we can avoid it anymore." She said placing her hand on my shoulder. "One more thing. I have bought you a spell that allows you to store objects in the ether."

"The what?"

"The ether is sort of a place between realms. An invisible store cupboard if you will. This spell will allow you to store your weapons and a satchel there so you can access it anywhere at any time. Saves you carrying it everywhere!" she giggled, placing her hand on her back.

"How do I access it?"

"Firstly, let me do the spell." She took out a piece of paper and started reading the incantation. She took my hand and pierced my first finger. As the blood oozed out, she wiped it on each weapon in turn then the satchel they were placed in. once she finished, they all disappeared. "There. Now think of the object you want and call to you."

I closed my eyes and concentrated on the daggers, with a flash, they were in my hand. "Cool! How do I send them back?"

"Same concept but reversed! Imagine them disappearing into the ether." I shut my eyes again and the weight of the daggers faded from my hands.

"That is probably the coolest present I have ever been given." I said, hugging my grandmother. "Thank you."

"That's not all. Please get the satchel." I called on the satchel and when it appeared, I handed it over. "I have filled this with potions. I have labelled each one, so you know what they are. It will take a lot more lessons before you know what each of them look like. For now, though I would like you to read this book. It has some of the most important potions you will need in them. Study up and I will test you tomorrow." She said placing a large lavender bound book into my palms. It had an intricate black insignia on the front. My arms drop with the weight.

"A quiz on all this. Tomorrow?"

"Just read what you can. We will see how far you get and have a go at making a few." She hugs me and turns to leave. "Will you be back tonight?"

"I think so." I shrug with a smile.

"Okay. Casserole for dinner." She heads for the door and turns abruptly. "One more thing. Those weapons will return to the ether. So, if you throw a dagger and don't retrieve it, it will return to the ether. See you at home, sweetie."