3 Leaving the Palace

Pam Evers waited by the freight elevator with a cart of files destined for Public Relations on the ground floor. She pushed a strand of dark brown hair behind her ear but it fell back in her face. She sighed. She needed a haircut but a reasonably-priced cut cost €30 plus tip. No way she'd risk cutting her own hair. Hairbands were three for €10, a better deal at Euro Deals. She'd stop on the way to her apartment, shared with five other young working people. Cheap, and convenient to Lindberg.

Voices floated down the hall and she saw Prince Richard and Prince Sean walking her way. She gripped the cart handle tightly. Sean was attractive and dashing with his curly hair pulled tight back in a short ponytail. She had never seen him this close in the year she'd worked at the Palace. He was seldom around. Uther and the Family disliked him for reasons she'd never discerned.

To her surprise they stopped by the elevator. She stared at them, never having spoken with the Royals before.

"Hello," said Richard. He looked down at her ID, smiling mischeviously. "Pam."

"Hello, Sir," she said, pushing the lock of hair behind her ear. She wiped her dusty hands on her jeans.

"Ah. You've summoned the lift." His deep voice had the plummy tones of the british school he'd attended for a few years. He smiled his charming smile, and she relaxed a bit. The Palace grapevine reported he liked attention.

"Yes, sir."

"We're going down to the ground floor."

"I'll wait for the next elevator, then."

"Nonsense," Richard said, "ride with us. No sense waiting." He smiled winningly at her and she smiled back timidly.

"Well, I can wait." One rule all the staff knew and followed was to defer to the Royals. They had right of way. Right of everything, when it comes down to it, Pam thought. Their country. She hid a small smile.

"No, I insist," Richard said. "We're going the same way."

"Ride with us," said Sean, knowing Richard would not give up doing a small favor to an unknown employee. It was part of his charm.

The lift doors swished open. Sean motioned her in and she pushed the cart to the back of the lift and faced front. The princes followed her and faced each other. Sean asked, "What floor?" he asked.

"Ground, sir."

He pushed the G button. The doors shut and the lift went down. "Our stop. He turned to give her a slight smile, and she smiled back, her heart beating faster.

"You're American, aren't you, Pam?" asked Richard.

"Yes, sir." Staff had been trained to answer questions briefly and not make conversation.

"From where," asked Sean.

"Burkehill. In South Carolina."

"Do you miss home, Pam?" Richard asked.

She thought. They were asking questions, so she should answer. "Some. I miss my family."

"What brought you to Swanholm?" Richard asked. He was genuinely curious about people.

She looked down. "A fiancee. He's from Swanholm. We broke up but I had this job and I liked it and the city and country, so I thought I'd stay till my visa ran out, if I can't renew it."

"Visa troubles?" Richard asked.

She looked at him. "Not really. Just my ex's family sponsored me, and they won't do it a second time. This is a temp job, so when it ends, I'll go back home."

"Ah. If you would like an extension, contact my office. We'll see if we can help you out."

For a minute she blinked at Richard. "Thank you, sir. I would like that. It's very kind of you."

"Nothing much," said Richard. "Prince Sean will look into the matter. He'll be working here from now on." He nodded to Sean, who lips twitched.

"I don't have an office here yet," he nodded at Pam, who gaped at him. "If you need help with your visa, I'll see what I can do

"Thank you, sir?" she said.

Sean breathed in the faint scent of her perfume, a light floral scent. He inhaled deeply. The frangrance was pleasing, and he took another breath. He looked her over discreetly. She was several inches shorter than his six feet, sturdy and full-figured. Her complexion was clear and what some called peaches and cream. She wore no makeup. Her brown eyes and brown hair enhanced her complexion, but she needed a trim. Longer hair would become her, he thought. Her bangs hung in her eyes and she pushed them out.

Her clothes were plain and functional, and well-worn. She wore a light purple blouse with jeans. The purple did not suit her warm complexion. Sean thought she wasn't bad-looking.

The lift stopped and the doors opened. Sean followed Richard out, then held the door for Pam to push her cart out. She rolled it around the princes and waited for them to go first. Sean released the doors. The lift rose.

Richard stood, arms crossed, and tapping his fingers on his arm. He disliked waiting. He'd waited enough for one day on Uther.

"Have a good day," said Richard, as he strode down the hall to the garage.

"Good day, Sir," she said. She pushed her cart down the hall, turning to watch the two, men, tall, in tailored suits, one dark and one fair, turn the corner. She continued her way to the clerical office.

Richard walked Valet's office. He nodded to the clerk. "Our cars."