5 Long Live King Richard

Sean stirred restlessly in his bed as his phone rang and rang. His private line, not to be answered by anyone but his private secretary, who was in Westmere.

He opened his eyes, saw it was 3:59 AM. He sat up and grabbed the receiver. "Sean here," he said.

"Sir?" Haraldson's voice. "I am sorry to wake you. We can't reach the King."

King? Sean rubbed his eyes, waking up completely. "Where are you, Prime Minister?"

"At the hospital, Sir," Haraldson said, his voice slow, steady and calm.

King Uther is at the hospital. Sean gasped as he realized why the man was trying to call him. "What's happened, Prime Minister? Tell me now."

"His Majesty, King Uther III died seven minutes ago." Sean took a deep breath. They must be frantic to reach Richard.

"The King is dead. Long live King Richard," Sean said.

"Yes, Sir," said Haraldson. " We have called the Lindberg Palace but King Richard is not in his rooms."

"I'll get dressed and meet you there. Give me twenty minutes."

Sean pounded on the door of the Crown Prince's Suite, where Richard was sleeping, apparently not alone. Haraldson and Finn, Uther's Secretary were with him, and Richard's valet waited a discreet distance away. He carried mourning clothes for Richard.

"Leave," Richard's voice mumbled from the room. "I'm not alone."

Sean lips thinned. Richard could no longer act the playboy prince.

Sean straightened the black tie that matched the black suit he wore for mourning. Uther's death had not been announced, but must be done as soon as possible, and he and Sean must wear mourning in honor of the late King.

"Open up, Richard," Sean shouted, pounding. "It's me. Haraldson and Finn and are here. Open up, or we'll open the door."

"Don't fret, dear boy," Richard called. "I'm coming."

Soon the door rattled as Richard turned the knob. He leaned against the frame, wearing only a robe. "What's so important you wake me up at this time of the morning?"

Sean, Haraldson, Finn and the valet bowed.

"Sir," said Haraldson, "we regret to inform Your Majesty of the death of King Uther III of Forland forty-two minutes ago. As Head of Government, I officially acknowledge your accession to the throne of Forland. King Uther is dead. Long live King Richard."

Richard straightened. "Grandfather has finally passed? I am King." He turned to the girl in bed behind him. "Get dressed, Therese. Wait in the salon. Big changes. Leave your cell phone with me." He knew Cynthia would be happy to sell the news of Richard's accession with juicy details of her presence.

Richard opened the door. "Come in. Ah. I see you brought Carleton, with my clothes. You think of everything, Sean."

A busty brunette was pulling on slacks as they entered. She bowed to Richard and hurried out, her cell phone in hand. Sean caught her arm. "We'll keep this for a bit." She pouted, but let him take it. An equerry appeared and escorted her to a salon.

Richard was dressed in under two minutes. "Shall we go? Have the staff been assembled?" He directed this question to Finn.

"Yes, Sir," said Finn. "Some are waiting in King Uth—your office."

"Let's get on with business," said Richard. "The next two weeks will be very busy."

Thirty minutes later, Haraldson, accompanied by his Cabinet, announced the death of Uther and the accession of King Richard to the nation.

Soon phones were ringing. Family members, the News agencies, foreign governments offering condolences, wanting information and more.

Just as dawn lit up the Palace grounds, the balcony doors opened and King Richard V stepped out. A large crowd had already gathered, and they roared when he appeared and waved.

Richard stood there, regal, handsome, somber in black and thrilled at the adoration of the crowd. "Long live the King," and "King Richard" echoed around the walls of the grounds. After a few minutes Sean, now Heir Presumptive, walked onto the balcony, followed by Richard's Aunt Daphne, and her daughters—Agnetha, the elder, and Diana, the younger.

A few more relatives followed, mostly female. Daphne would inherit Forland but not Westmere if Sean and Richard died without heirs.

After several minutes the Family returned to the Salon that opened to the balcony. Richard said, "Uther's funeral is five days from today. My office will notify all of you of the schedule."

He buzzed on as Daphne examined Sean discreetly. He was now heir presumptive, and too important to ignore. He'd have to be welcomed back in the Family, along with that mother of his. Even if Richard had heirs, Sean was a prince, a duke, and worth billions.

If by some chance, Sean becomes King, Daphne thought, we need to be sure he will keep Westmere and Forland together. He can split the Kingdom, which will be bad for Forland. She looked at her two daughters. Arbella had married and divorced early, and was now notorious for enjoying life. Diana, however, was almost twenty-one, very beautiful, well-liked by the public, and suitable. If Richard refused her, she'd do well to have Sean. Their marriage would keep Westmere in the Family and Kingdom.

"Sean, dear, pity we have to meet under these sad circumstances."

Sean looked her up and down before saying, "Yes, Daphne, it's been a long time. Father's funeral."

Daphne smiled wistfully. "He was such a fun boy. He went his own way when he grew up, and we all drifted apart."

Sean nodded, a slight dip of his head.

"Uther has brought us together again. Diana and I will help you and Richard in any way we can now."

"Thank you."

"Diana has worked with the Royal Press Office during the summers. Call her whenever you need a friendly heir, or some inside advice."

"I shall think of her." Sean smiled at Diana, who smiled back. Diana was very beautiful, except for her large ears. She'd had an operation to stick them back, and it had worked fairly well. She knew her way around the Royal Family, but had a bad shopping habit with a taste for partying and overspending her allowance.

If Richard decided to marry her, which Sean knew was his first choice, the girl would have to shape up. Daphne could pull her in line if anyone could. Sean now suspected Daphne was setting him up as the backup to Richard—it was Daphne's style, but the girl annoyed him with her endless talk of fashion and parties. He was rich enough to support her spending, but would never consider her.

"How is your dear mother?"

"Mother is well, thank you," said Sean, lifting an eyebrow. "She is in Lindberg and will attend the funeral."

"I will be glad to see her again. We must get together for tea. And dinner sometime. I'll call her."

"Do. She'd like to hear from you," Sean said, and thought, and tell you off, you venal, scheming old woman.

Richard strode up, and spoke with them, paying attention to Diana, smiling and touching her arm. Daphne eyes shone. He finally invited them to stay at Lindberg for the funeral. Daphne agreed immediately. Sean slipped away and talked to a few others until he could leave.