7 In With the New, Part 2

Pam arrived at Sean's townhouse seven minutes before her appointment with Vivian and knocked on the staff door. The butler answered and greeted her. "Miss Evers?"

"Yes, sir," she replied, fighting the urge to curtsey to the formal old man.

A tiny grin curved his lips. "You may address me at Thorne. Follow me. I'll let the Duchess know you are here. Would you like to freshen up?

Pam brushed the stray hair from her face. She almost said no, but got the feeling Thorne was hinting she at least look in a mirror.

"Yes, please, Thorne."

He nodded and showed her to a restroom.

Pam looked at herself in a mirror. Dark, brown eyes, brown hair, nice complexion. Clean, neat, but not a standout. She hoped she looked professional. What's professional for a dogwalker, she thought, and pushed her hair behind her ears and held it with a new headband. She reapplied lip gloss and found Thorne. He nodded and she felt better.

A few minutes later she sat in a small salon that was like something she'd only seen in museums or movies. Vivian offered her tea, and the two women chatted. Time passed, and Vivian brought in the dogs. Two dachshunds, two cocker spaniels, and two French Bulldogs. The Duchess named them all, and the two women walked around the grounds of the house. There was a small but lovely garden, a small kitchen garden, a large garage, and some outbuildings.

They returned to the salon. Vivian said, "We should try the job for two weeks, and we are agreed, make it more permanent. My son says you plan to stay till the end of the year."

"Yes, ma'am. Then its time I return to Burkehill. If that arrangement will suit you, I'd like to try working for you."

"I'll let the Duke know. You'll have a small private room on the top floor here and share the bathroom."

Pam nodded.

Vivian smiled. "I'm looking forward to our working together. The dogs like you, and Security has checked you out. Once you sign the non-disclosure agreement, we can move forward.

"Thank you, ma'am," Pam said.

Vivian pushed a button and Thorne appeared a minute later. He escorted her out and gave her his number.

"We are all fond of our duchess. She has suffered much, but the Duke is her pride and joy. We look forward to you working here and hope you enjoy it."

"Thank you, Thorne. I'm sure I will." She walked away the grand house to the bus stop. Soon her bus arrived and she headed for home.

Richard moved Cynthia into Lindberg, over the unspoken objections of almost everyone. Sean just shook his head at his cousin.

"Are you still using Prince Nel's bed?" he asked. "It should be returned to the museum. You can get a new bed."

"No, Sean, thank you. "Nel's bed will be moved into the King's bedroom, where I will be sleeping in future." He winked at his cousin. "The mattress and springs will be replaced today. The old ones are noisy, and not really the most comfortable."

"They could be fifty years old, Richard," said Sean. "Have it your way. You will, I know."

Sean returned to his office. The workload was easier now, but he still regularly worked ten-hour days. He'd arranged for some of the work to be sent to his townhome, giving him a day or two without traveling to Lindberg. The suggestion came from Dag, who Sean considered worth his weight in gold.

Richard replaced the old mattress and box springs on Nels bed with new ones, custom made. The curator objected strenuously to this, as the new set was over a hundred pounds heavier than the old. Richard told the old man not to worry about it or mention it to him again.