Tuesday, May 21st

Dear Appa,

Thank you for the birthday card you sent. It was very cute. But I thought we'd already agreed that you weren't going to send me money anymore, appa. I'm earning well on my own here. In fact, I'm already up for a promotion in the next couple of months. I'm getting by really well, so don't worry about me too much. Save the money for a rainy day.

Do you know what I treasure more than the money you sent for my birthday? This stationery set I'm writing on right now. I can't believe I forgot mom loved collecting pretty paper when she was still alive. She used to write letters to me on my birthday, and I believe she wrote you letters on special occasions too. Don't you think she had the prettiest handwriting, appa? The way her strokes and lines flowed on the page reminds me of her gentle voice when she'd fondly call my name.

It's strange. This isn't even scented paper, but I thought I was able to catch mom's scent when I opened the box today. It's almost like she's just here, looking over my shoulder as I write you this letter. Telling me to mind my posture. Telling me to tell you she misses you, and that she wishes you were here with us.

You were right, appa. I like writing to you like this. Emails and text messages are also nice, but there's something very calming about sitting here and carefully thinking of the words I want to say. I'll write to you more until I use up all of mom's stationery, and then I'll buy some more pretty paper from the shops here when I run out.

I know your allergies act up a little more this time of the year, so I hope you're taking care of yourself well. I'm sending a photo of my birthday cake here—if I remember to take one before I eat it.

With all my love,
Marie

P.S. Hours after I wrote this letter, someone arrived at the resort to keep his promise to me. We took a photo together for the first time, and I'm including a copy of the photo here too.

Kiwan sends his regards.