Tuesday, December 31st

My beloved Marie,

I’m writing you this letter as you sleep soundly, still completely oblivious to the pleasant singing of the birds outside our window. It’s the last day of the year, and I just wanted to tell you how thrilled I am to be welcoming a new one with you. This year was filled with a lot of ups and downs, but you were easily the best parts of it.

I know I promised you that we would travel the world together someday, that we’d walk hand in hand to many places until the soles on our feet wear out…but I hope you don’t mind staying here longer for now. Travel is such a luxury and we don’t have much, but I hope you know I’m working hard so we could see the world someday.

For now, I’m learning how to cook dishes from as many countries as possible so you can have a taste of their cuisine. The guys at the restaurant have worked at different kinds of restaurants here and overseas, and have taught me a thing or two. I can’t wait until I’m proud enough to give you a mini tour of the world through my food.

It’s so peaceful outside, Marie. I kind of want to wake you up so we could have a walk by the beach. We could find a nice spot and sit on the sand, and you can take a nap on my lap if you feel sleepy. I’ll wake you up just in time to see the colors in the sky change—pitch black first until sunlight pierces through, scattering oranges and yellows in the horizon. I’ll hold you in my arms as we watch the clouds move across the sky, and when the sun finally greets us good morning, we’ll continue our walk, get our feet wet on the shore, and head back home when we get hungry.

It’s the last day of the year, but every day with you still feels like a first.

I hope I never stop feeling this way.

Always,
-Kiwan