Something good and right and real: Chapter 4

✦ .  ⁺   . ✦ .  ⁺   . ✦

Chapter 4: The wound won't close

✦ .  ⁺   . ✦ .  ⁺   . ✦

He actually did buy flowers to hand to Cassian, only to have a shadow whisk them away as soon as his brother started sneezing uncontrollably.

Cassian's scowl was a beauty to behold after all.

The same evening, he came to see Oriana again. It was a daily thing these days unless he wasn't in Velaris. And if he wasn't in Velaris, his shadows kept tabs on her for him. never telling him any more than Mistress seems happy, Master. She went out dancing with friends this evening. Or Mistress is working on Master's armour, again.

Oriana knew they did so and still wore one tendril unapologetically wrapped around her wrist or heck, depending on what she was doing at the time.

And in return, Azriel was quite certain that if he weren't already in love with Oriana his shadows would try to start a love affair all on their own.

They tried to get as close to her as possible, always some of them staying with her and Azriel waited on the day that some of the tendrils would start a fight about who got to stay with Oriana for the day.

The shadow travelled right inside her living room as soon as the shadows gave the all-clear. No need to use the front door like everybody else.

Azriel found her on her couch, the low table in front of it covered with books and documents filled with loopy handwriting.

Her own, he realised. He had never seen her write before but this was clearly her handwriting as she was diligently taking notes in the same handwriting right now.

"Thank you for the flowers, they were gorgeous, sweetling," she told him, looking up from her work, that bright smile that he adored on her face, and he couldn't help himself but to sit down right next to her, even when the couch was gonna be uncomfortable for his wings. He sat down next to her and he pulled her against her side.

She was fresh out of her shower when the towel that was keeping her hair contained was anything to go by, dressed in a bright yellow silk robe that tied closed, and was maybe modest with long sleeves and just the hint of a v-neckline but also draped over her curves like liquid.

He couldn't help it when he pulled her against him, pressing a soft kiss against her lips as she turned her head into him, tasting something sweet and smelling warmth and something spicy that by now he knew was the soap she used.

This was as close to paradise as he had ever come before.

Whatever shit he had dealt with during the day, as soon as he got to hold Oriana during the evening...it all was fine as far as he was concerned.

Especially when he got to kiss her like that, soft and lazy and exploratory, a warm hand curling into the back of his neck and her lush curves pressed against him.

It made him feel warm in the best way.

"I bought them to fuck with my brother," he admitted as he pulled back slightly. "He's allergic."

"You know, there are lots of things I want to talk to you about right now, but your brother is quite low on that list," Oriana whispered hoarsely and he couldn't help but laugh and then groan in the next kiss as she moved so that she could straddle them. He caught her knee, carefully making sure that she wasn't going to jam Truth-Teller into the soft flesh of her thigh and then settled his hands on her hips.