The Beginning

[Words on screen: "From the Treaty of Treason: In penance for their uprising, each district shall offer up a male and female between the ages of 12 and 18 at a public "Reaping." These Tributes shall be delivered to the custody of The Capitol. And then transferred to a public arena where they will Fight to the Death until a lone victor remains. Henceforth and forevermore, this pageant shall be known as The Hunger Games."]

There is an uneasy silence when everyone has read the words on the screen. Iris Potter or Delphinium Everdeen lived in a reality where kids fought to the death...

Before anyone could comment the movie continued.

They see kids from ages 12 to 18 standing in rows as a lady dressed in eccentric fashion starts talking.

"Welcome welcome welcome to the 70th annual Hunger Games and may the odds ever be in your favor"

There was verbal shock at the fact that this had been happening for 70 years.

The camera shows a girl in the 12 year old section who had medium length black hair in one braid and grey eyes. Before the camera pans to a girl who looks to be about 11 years old but was shown to have been in the 13 year old section. The girl had long red hair tied in two french braids and grey eyes who looked apprehensive and worried..

Lily and James both knew that the red head was their flower; she was so grown up. "She's so grown up James and we've missed it all" Lily whispered in despair.

The women they now know as Effie appears on screen again "

Now, before we begin. We have a very special film. Brought to you all the way from the Capitol!

(The film begins playing)

President Snow: "War. Terrible war. Widows, orphans, a motherless child. This was the uprising that rocked our land. Thirteen districts rebelled against the country that fed them, loved them, protected them. Brother turned on brother until nothing remained. And then came the peace, hard fought, sorely won. A people rose up from the ashes, and a new era was born. But freedom has a cost. And the traitors were defeated. We swore as a nation we would never know this treason again. And so it was decreed that each year, the various districts of Panem would offer up, in tribute, one young man and woman to fight to the death in a pageant of honor, courage, and sacrifice. The lone victor, bathed in riches, would serve as a reminder of our generosity and our forgiveness. This is how we remember our past. This is how we safeguard our future."

Everyone was shocked silent and horrified

Effie: "I just love that! Now, the time has come for us to select one courageous young man and woman for the honor of representing District 12 in the 70th Annual Hunger Games. As usual, ladies first."

(Effie moves over to the pool of names, and draws a piece of paper. She goes back to the microphone and opens it.)

Effie: "Delphinium Everdeen!"

"No no no" was being repeated by both Lily and James who were looking at the screen in horror as everyone else looked scared for Delphinium.

(The scene changes to show Delphinium walking towards the stage with fear in her eyes.)

Effie (v.o.): "Where are you dear? Come on up. Well, come on up!"

The camera pans to the little girl with black hair again as she stares at Delphinium in shock and horror before panning towards a blonde woman who looks on in shock with a younger blonde girl who was crying at the announcement.

Everyone assumed this was her adoptive family the Everdeens

(Effie claps enthusiastically,.)

And now, for the boys.

Cole Piller. The screen shows a 17 year old boy with black hair and grey eyes.

Our Tributes from District 12. Well, come on you two. Shake hands. Happy Hunger Games.

And may the odds be ever in your favor.

The camera shows Delphinium stood on stage staring at her family in determination..

The screen goes blank then

"4 YEARS LATER"

Everyone was trying to process what they had just watched and hoped that Delphinium would still be alive when the next clip was set after her game.

***********
Authors note : hi thanks for reading this story it's been in my drafts for months. Please don't be a ghost reader and let me know what you think of this book.
-Ivy Osiris