Chapter 6 : Echoes of the Lost

Massine slipped out of the tent under the cloak of darkness, moving with cautious steps toward the familiar spot beneath the argan tree where she often met Tufitri. There, she found her waiting impatiently.

"What took you so long?" Tufitri inquired, her voice barely a whisper.

" I came as soon as i could," Answered Massine and then handed her a small rounded bottle full of a dark liquid, Tufitri took it, curiosity etched on her face.

"This time, double the dose," Massine whispered, her voice barely audible in the darkness. Tufitri's eyes widened in surprise. "What do you mean?" she questioned.

Massine took a deep breath before replying, "I've had enough of this. Finish him. I've already dispatched my men to take care of Ammar; he should be dead by now."

Tufitri couldn't believe what she was hearing. "So, that's it?" she asked, her voice tinged with disbelief.

Massine exhaled heavily before responding, "Yes. If all goes according to plan, the clans will lay the blame on Ider's daughter, and that will be enough to ignite a war." Her words hit Tufitri like a thunderbolt, leaving her stunned as she struggled to comprehend the gravity of the situation.

"So that means...it's over...?" Tufitri asked, with a shaking voice, as if facing the end of the world.

Massine anger flared and she gripped Tufitri's arm firmly, " Are you willing to ruin our plan?" she demanded.

"No of course not..." Turfitri answers right away, shaking her head with fear in her eyes.

Massine yells at her again "Then you need to wake up and forget about your affection for Ammar...". Tufitri's eyes wide open, as she looked at Massine, who continued, " What? you think I didn't notice?"

Tufitri remained silent, averting her gaze. Massine tends to leave and then turns back, " Don't give up on our quest for revenge...believe me, your emotions will only weaken you..."

She held Tufitri's gaze... " Remember what happened to our clan, wake up Tufitri...don't let the sacrifice of our ancestors be in vain..." she warned before disappearing into the shadows

*****

Back in the camp, Tufitri enters her tent, she walks in and sits next to her husband, she looks at him and then looks at the poison bottle in her hand, her heart heavy with turmoil.

*****

That morning, Lunja woke up, she looked for her father, he was not there.

Lunja got up and went looking for him. Ammar was still sleeping...

As she got into the woods, she could hear the sound of the river. She went in its direction.

Sun drifted, illuminating her way, Lunja raised her head, embracing the warmth of that morning, as the wind was caressing her cheeks, for a moment, then carried on her way...

Lunja stopped, she saw a glimpse of muddy feet of a body and two arrows stuck on its back. Her face ashen at the sight of a corpse, she took another step forward, and at once she stopped, as she recognized her father's hand, she whisper-yelled " Father...!".

*****

The footsteps continued towards him, slowly and closer. Ammar heard the sound of rustling grass, he opened his eyes, and quickly unlocked his sword, aiming at the person coming from behind.

*****

Her pulse rushed in fear and anticipation, as she got on her knees and flipped him around, "you are late Lunja..." a strange sound echoed in her ears.