Chapter Fourteen (Edited.)

My eyes flashed open. It was the middle of the night, my body tangled in a blanket. My skin was slick with sweat and my eyes were crusted with dried tears. Nothing made sense. My mind didn't think. All I knew was sadness.

Craig.

A lump formed in my throat, breaking me down to pieces. I couldn't breathe- I couldn't see. My pulse quickened as my body shook. Any attempt to contain this pain would be worthless.

He saved me. He brought me back. If I had ran faster, if I hadn't given Lily the damn gun-this was all my fault, again!

I forced myself to stand. I needed a mirror; I craved to see this mess I had become. I staggered my way to the bathroom and bumped into the stall door, grabbing some toilet paper. I blew my nose and wiped my face down. Then, I staggered over and gripped the edges of the sink.

Blonde hair. Pale white skin. Eyes that were somehow green yet blue at the same time. Everything was so ordinary, so normal. There was something different, though. It was inside me.

I'm losing my mind.

A sharp pain struck my stomach, causing my body to fold in on itself. The floor was cold as it graced my skin, but I didn't mind. Everything was so broken, so lost. And everything that was left was waiting to fall apart. Craig was dead. Lucy would die soon, too. And then Darlene, Liam, Walter. Everyone out there is going to die. It was just the harsh truth. There was no other alternative, no other option. It was just inevitable.

Stupid. I was so stupid for thinking that for a second, maybe, just maybe, things would be okay. I beat my fists against the wall, pain erupting from my knuckles as it came in contact.

"Lease," a voice said, pulling my fists away from the wall. "Stop it."

"You stop!" I shouted, pushing away from him and stumbling as I scrambled to stand. My breathing was harsh and I could feel my face burning. He reached out to steady me, but I shook my head. "Don't."

His jaw set as he ran his fingers through his hair, studying me with those stupid blue eyes.

"Go away," I hissed, turning away from him. I needed him to go. I didn't want him here. I wanted Craig, but he was dead and sooner or later I'd be dead to everyone else here anyways. He might as well just leave now. "Get. Out."

He didn't flinch. Instead, he took a step forward. He was close to me, too close.

"Is that what you want?" He asked, his voice low. "Say the word and I'll leave. But only if that's what you truly want."

A sob escaped my throat as he finished speaking. I knew I didn't want him to go deep down, but I also knew it was something that was going to happen anyways. Him and everyone else.

"I'm right here," he said, trying to put his arms around me. I fell victim to his embrace, crying into his chest. He didn't understand. He wouldn't be here after Sienna tells him and I wouldn't have Craig to wait for me. I was losing everything. I was the loser. "I'm here."

"I told him it would be okay," I said, my voice mangled with sobs. "He's gone. I told him- I promised-"

"Shh." My head throbbed as I let myself stay in his arms. I'd have to leave. After the funeral for Craig...I'd have to leave. A voice in the back of my mind told me to push him away now, but I couldn't. I couldn't lose someone else, not right now. "I'm right here."

My knees buckled, the energy completely drained from my body. I didn't care anymore. The will to so much as stand evaporated from my soul, leaving the weight of living to bear down on me. But Liam reacted quick, pulling me into his arms and wrapping an arm under my knees. I closed my eyes as he carried me out of the bathroom, letting the darkness consume me.