Chapter Thirty

Liam pulled up his crossbow, aiming at the snappers that were closest to us. I pulled out my machete, but stopped short after a few steps. There were too many to count in here, and they were everywhere; they staggered and stumbled by the windows, in the kitchen, and in between tables. I couldn't even fathom how this could have happened. The door opens from the inside, which meant that someone had to have opened the door and let them in.

My heart stopped for a few seconds. I realized who the only person that would be crazy enough to do open the doors was: Abbey.

I pushed the thought away from my head and came back to reality, because even though she was probably responsible for this, she was nowhere to be found, and Liam was already heading toward the snappers. He would need my help soon, and I'd have to be alert. He started on the snapper's that were on the edges, and I knew that we had to make a dent quick if we were going to clear this room and find the others, if they were still here.

No, they were still here. They had to be. There was no other alternative until proven otherwise.

"Liam!" I yelled over the groans and snaps of the dead. He glanced back at me for a few seconds. "Check the kitchen and try find the others. I'll keep an eye open, too, but in the meantime I'm going to take care of them."

I didn't wait for a response, instead I took a few steps to the pack that was in the middle of the cafeteria, but as soon as I did, I felt a sharp pang in my arm where the bullet pierced. The pang traveled up, coursing through my neck to my forehead. I nearly dropped my machete from the sudden, yet intolerable pain. Then, as quickly as it came, it left, and I was able to get myself together and charge toward the snappers. I thought it was strange, but I didn't pay any mind to it.

Pain sparked like flames in my arms and legs as I charged forward, using all my strength to strike my machete into the heads of the snappers. I couldn't see Liam, but I wouldn't let myself even think that he was in danger. He could take care of himself, I reassured myself. Besides, I'm sure he was looking for the others, just like I told him.

A sharp tapping pounded inside my head, and I became short of breath. I was caught off guard by the suddenness of it, but I quickly composed myself just as I did earlier. Now was not the time to lose it, I had to focus. I couldn't worry about Liam, I had to keep pushing forward. I was now in the belly of the beast, and the snapper's were beginning to surround me. I had done just as I wanted to, I took the attention away from Liam and brought it onto me.

They were all around me, coming toward me in between tables. Black dots covered my vision, but I took a quick breath and shook my head, trying to rid them the best I could. I held up the machete, my muscles burning like a million suns, ready to fight.

I moved in a circle, counting in four's as I turned quickly in a circle hacking at the heads of the snappers. There were all kinds of them; skeletal ones that were starved for months, ones with several limbs or body parts missing, and ones that had some meat on their bones. I lasted for a good while, killing so many I began to lose count. They just kept coming, relentless as usual. I could feel my body pleading to give out; every fluid that was in my body felt as if it transformed to led and my muscles were being forced to endure an insurmountable amount of weight, but what was the most overbearing was the solid pounding in my head, as if someone was taking a jackhammer to my temple.

"Darlene!" I shouted, shaking my head. I had to stay conscious and keep pushing forward, I couldn't let myself go. "Guys! Where are you?"

I slammed my machete into the head of another snapper, feeling myself go a little woozy for a second. I ignored it, and kept going.

I kept going, that is, until I heard a loud guttural moan erupt from somewhere behind me. The lights began to flicker as I heard it, and I turned quick, spotting the origin of the sound. I didn't need to see it to know what it was, however, because I recognized that noise; it belonged to one of the strong ones.