Five

CHARLOTTE'S POV:

"We can just sleep in the same bed." Grace suggested.

She doesn't seem bothered by that idea. But I don't think I can do that, she needs to rest and I'm aware of how nervous I make her.

I don't want to make her feel uncomfortable.

"No, I can't do that." I reject her offer.

"Please, I insist." Grace pleaded, as she looked up meeting my eyes with her own gorgeous light green ones.

After the way she looked at me, how can I say no? I let my face relax and a slight smile formed on my lips, showing that I agree to her idea.

"Very well then. You can go to sleep and I'll go take a quick shower and come back." I informed her before leaving the room.

As warm water caressed my skin, my thoughts once again wandered to Grace. Her wounds...

What kind of monster could have caused them? I'll make sure to deal with them, I promise.

I rarely make promises, but when I do, I never break them. Unlike 'someone'.

No. This is not the time to be thinking about that. My whole focus should be on Grace. That poor girl.

After showering, I dried myself off and quickly brushed my teeth. She's probably sleeping, but I don't want to leave her alone for too long.

While quietly opening my bedroom's doors, I'm met with unexpected sight. Grace is still wide awake. She's lying on her side, staring into the distance while playing with a strand of her hair.

Clearly, something is bothering her.

As I make my way towards the bed, the thoughts get the better of me and I ask her a question that I know will make her uncomfortable. I just want to help her.

"Grace, what's bothering you?" I lie down next to her, on my side. I stare at her back as I wait for her to answer.

As soon as she hears my question, she turns around, meeting my eyes. Now we're lying face to face.

"Dad. He's bothering me."

"Hm? Did he call you? Was he asking you where you were?" It's normal for a parent to worry when their child is not home. I'm guessing that she didn't want to tell her parents about her wounds.

"No, Charlotte."

"How is he bothering you, then?" I look at her confused.

I study her face closely. She bites her lip as she's nervous to say the reason.

"Before I ran away from home, he called someone. And I know that something bad will happen soon."

Shock is written on my face. 'Ran away from home'? Does that mean that, someone hurt her at home?

"What do you mean you ran away from home, Grace?" I question her.

She sighs.

"Forget it." Grace said and turned on her other side, leaving me to stare at her back.