Chapter 4

You continued to speed walk to the house. The groceries are clutched tightly in your shaking hand. What was the old caretaker planning!? To sell the kids and for what? A couple of dwarven coins. Even if he had the power to reclaim them, they would be exposed.

What would you have done if someone he or the kids couldn't beat got a hold of one of them or, worse, their powers?

You pondered, slightly shaking your head at the old Caretaker's arrogance.

With your mind up in the clouds, the next turn you took had you colliding with someone.

Hey! Watch where you're going!

You hear someone shout in irritation as you fall on your ass. Despite the man's angry tone, he pushed his arm out for you to take.

Thanks. I'm sorry for bumping into you. I need to go.

You nodded, immediately leaving. But the man puts his hand on your shoulder, halting you.

You look familiar.

Oh god! Please don't tell me they're with the bandits!

You thought the worst. You looked down, seeing the weapons the stranger and another guy had. They and their roguish getup flared your flee instincts.

I-I already talked with your bandit buddies! I'll go and fetch the kids!

You panicked, raising your hands in submission.

The girl walked up from behind the other guy.

Bandits? But we're adventurers...

She tilted her head in confusion.

Adventurers?

Silence overcame the group, as you asked. You feel the person's grip suddenly tighten.

What's this I hear about fetching the kids?

He asked, a strained smile on his face.

...

Why would someone want orphans?

The adventurer, you now know as Kaval asked in confusion. You had lied, fearing how they'd react if you mentioned the old Caretaker's deal with some bandits.

It wasn't you, but no one would believe the mere fact that you're a soul in another person's body who'd died already.

I don't know. Maybe as workers? Slaves?

You answered, glancing at the weird girl who joined the group. She'd done nothing but sit there with her creepy mask.

So, what's your plan?

Eren, the mage, asked. You rubbed your arm, not having a plan of action.

You're in a different world without knowing what is lurking outside the walls. You can't leave because you don't know anywhere besides where you're residing.

I don't know...

I originally planned to get the kids out of here but didn't know where to go.

The three adventurers all racked up in thought. There were Kingdoms near Blumund, and some western states dotted around. But how would a mere orphanage caretaker be able to establish itself in a new Kingdom?

I suggest he and the kids go with us.

Shizu said, surprising the group.

We are heading into a forest teeming with monsters.