CHAPTER 17 | RAVISHING

Quil opened the door to the house, allowing everyone else to pass through the threshold. Bella trailed behind, a concentrated look painted on her face.

"Why the long face, babe?" He asked.

Bella blinked rapidly before replying. "Huh? Oh, nothing. I was just thinking."

"Thinking about what?" Jake responded.

"About how much I hate getting older."

"Bells, you gotta get over that stuff. Everyone grows old. Charlie, me, you, even Quil and Embry. Everybody."

"I know, but that doesn't mean I have to like it." She pouted.

"You're really not gonna like what comes next, then." Jake rounded the corner and entered the living room. Bella followed him along with Quil and Embry. As soon as she turned the corner, there was a loud pop sound and confetti in the air, followed by a resounding chorus of 'Happy Birthday'. Bella flinched, wrapping her arms instinctively around herself. The sound of a glass table shattering, piano keys breaking, and panicked voices rung in her ears, drowning out everything around her.

"Hey, you okay?" Jake asked, pulling her into his arms.

She rubbed her eyes and looked at the assembly of people before her. Sam and Emily were standing in front of the kitchen counter. Jared, Kim, and Paul stood slightly to the right of the island, and Leah, Sunny, and Seth were crowded into the corner by the refrigerator. Her dad and Billy were positioned in front of the back door. There was a huge assortment of food on the island and along the counters. Mostly finger foods, but a lot of grilling as well. Paul was already stuffing his face.

"Yeah, I'm fine. A little shell-shocked I guess." Bella muttered.

"It was my idea to throw a party. Didn't mean to scare you, honey." He rubbed her shoulders.

"Not scared. Surprised, that's for sure." She lied.

Charlie came up to them, standing a few feet away with a beer in hand. "Jake pitched the idea a few days ago, kiddo. I remember your 18th birthday. Came home with your arm in a sling, wrapped like a mummy. Thought you were gonna faint with how pale you were. You hardly said a word and went straight to your room after. Figured you could use some good memories to replace the old ones."

"Oh. So it was a group effort, huh?"

"Yup." He nodded, taking a swig of his drink. "Well, don't stand there all night—go get some food. The boys were cooking out back and Emily brought most of the spread on the island."

"I see that. I'll bet it's yummy." Bella smiled softly, pushing some of her long brunette hair behind her ears. There was a clawing feeling in the back of her throat, but she ignored it.

"C'mon. You got a gift, too." Jake said, rubbing her shoulders.

"Gift?" She blanched. "Another one?"

"Easy. It's just one thing."

"But you already bought me a ring and that outfit. Jake, this is too much. I have nothing to give back to you."

"Would it make you feel better to know I didn't spend any money on it?"

"Slightly, yes."

He led her into the living room and pulled his keys out of his pocket, sifting through the o-ring for the right one.

"What're you doing?" Bella asked, confused by his action.

"You'll see." He removed an emerald green colored house key. "Hold out your hand."

The sudden realization hit her. He was asking her to move in. Now.

"Jake," she covered her mouth, "no way."