Australian Grand Prix

What of the tyres?

Pirelli have given the teams the C3, C4 and C5 rubber - one stage softer than last year. It's caused some interesting strategy dilemmas, with tyre degradation higher than expected.

This was a one-stop race last year - until red flags and Safety Cars got involved - but could today's be more of a two stop?

----

The lights go out!

All eyes on Verstappen as the lights go out and he gets a good start. Grip is at a premium, the cars are squirming around but the front few hold station in the opening few corners.

No incidents further back yet, no carbon fibre flying. Victoria has lost a place to Russell though, and Hamilton is up to P10.

----

Verstappen is out of the race!

It doesn't look like the PU, this looks like brakes but Verstappen is out of the car, and out of the race!

What a dramatic start to the Australian Grand Prix and what a way for his winning streak to end!

----

Sainz leads the race
LAP 6/58

All of a sudden this race has taken on a different characteristic here, with Sainz leading from Norris and Leclerc, Victoria is down in sixth with the pressure on to deliver for Red Bull.

What a dramatic start!

----

Front five yet to pit
LAP 12/58

Sainz leads from Norris and Victoria, with Alonso in fourth all yet to pit. Leclerc has been in, and has just overtaken Gasly - who has yet to pit - for sixth. Make that fifth, as he picks off Hulkenberg.

Piastri also gets past Gasly on that lap.

----

Victoria complaining about grip
LAP 13/58

Victoria is third having not pitted, but she is saying she thinks they overdid it on the tyres at the start. She's on the mediums, but if she pits now she'll fall back behind Russell so she is trying to extend this first stint.

Sainz's lead? Up to 6.8s now, with Norris doing his best to stay in touch.

----

Victoria and Norris pit
LAP 15/58

Okay then - where are these two coming out? Norris is behind his team mate in fifth, Victoria is side by side with Hamilton... but just nips past for P10.

Those longer first stints haven't helped those drivers, but they will be in a better place later on in the race.

----

The Virtual Safety Car is out

Hamilton's car needs to be recovered - what a miserable weekend he has had. And as the VSC comes out, this benefits Alonso hugely as he has yet to stop, but he is coming in now.

----

Sainz leads from Leclerc
LAP 19/58

How is this shaking out now?

Sainz is 2.1s ahead of his team mate but has fresher tyres. Piastri is up to third, but his strategy is offset to his team mate who is just behind on fresher rubber. That could get tasty later on.

Alonso is up to fifth now, ahead of Russell and Victoria. Stroll, Tsunoda and Albon are also in the points.

----