Chapter X

Noah

"I'm going to Milan the week after next – it's Ava's fifteenth."

"Well, send my regards," I say, tying my shoelaces. "I'll be starting my six weeks as well."

Thea raises her eyebrows, taking a spoon of her granola. "You're not travelling, are you?"

"I haven't decided yet but we can do a weekend together if you can take more time off." I pick up my briefcase, about to say goodbye since we're rarely ready to leave at the same time.

"You're forgetting something," I hear from behind. A goodbye kiss? Fuck, when was the last time we did that? I turn around but she's picking my key of the holder and handing it over.

"Ah, thanks," I chuckle. Still a kiss on the cheek won't hurt.

Thea's cheeks turn rosy, eyelashes fluttering quickly, but she schools her face almost immediately. "Oh, and I forgot to mention, Nila's up for those driving lessons we offered."

Right. Correction – she offered. The last time she was here, we both saw the grocery order coming hours late, with some of the stuff Nila ordered completely left out. And before we went to bed, Thea asked me why I'd only given her a credit card instead of a car for shopping as well.

I was a bit surprised she hadn't learnt how to drive yet, and I would have asked more, but I'm a coward and I encouraged Thea to approach her instead.

But since I'm going to be teaching her to drive, we're going to be in close proximity either way. It's not that I don't want to be around her, but I have a good reason to stay away.

"Great, I will talk to her on Monday," I say absentmindedly, trying to figure out how my schedule next week will allow for any meetings. "I'll see you later."

"Bye."

I've just started driving off when the music pauses for a second and a message shows up on the car screen.

Thea: My parents are coming over on Monday.

This shit's never a quick conversation, but I'm at a red light so I dial her and she picks up straight away.

"How long do they want to stay in New York?"

"My mum said a couple of days, but not longer than a week. Apparently they don't want to interfere with our 'marital activities'," Thea replies with scorn. I'd laugh if I wasn't so pissed off we're only finding out two days before.

"And where do they plan to stay?"

"In our house, Noah. What's the point of all this space if we can't have guests over?"

"It's not just about guests coming over and you know it. Did they ask or did they tell you they're coming? For fuck's sake, at least try to get a word in next time."

For a few second, Thea doesn't reply, obviously fuming but I don't regret what I said. Her parents are bullies, and I never used to understand why a woman like Thea let them walk all over her.

"Hey baby, sorry I'm back so late." I take Thea's hands to pull her up and wrap mine around her waist, about to go in for a kiss.

But she pushes against my chest instead, and the slight resistance makes me drop my arms. "I need to talk to you," she says, her face solemn.

I look down at her luggage – I assumed it was just for her trip to Milan she told me about but her tone's making me overthink. "You can't leave me with just a suitcase and carry-on," I joke, not getting more than a slight smile.