Chapter 1

This body of work is available exclusively on Wattpad and Patreon. If you're viewing it on a different website or under a different username, it has been illegally stolen, and you may be at risk of malware. Please do not support these sites, as writing a book takes long hours of hard work and effort. Head over to Wattpad and let me, the original author, know if you encounter this situation by finding me @greenwitchwrites.

Addie

"You're in for a delicious treat today. He is in a foul mood," Adrianna smirks, flicking her long black hair over her bare pasty white shoulder as she leans against the door frame. While she is the same height and size as me, standing at only 5'2" tall, that tiny body is a weapon that could rip my spine clean from my body in the same amount of time it would take me to blink.

If the venom in her eyes doesn't kill me first. The only emotion I ever see in her beady, black-eyed gaze is pure, unadulterated hate. The reason behind it courses through my veins, a potent addiction to the Vampire King that even saw his bride pushed aside at times.

Like now.

Before I am summoned and requiring a headstart as I am on the other side of the castle, I am up and out of my favorite kitchen chair next to the window. It gives me an unobstructed view of the wildflower field currently in full bloom—the perfect distraction while I drain one of the rabbits the hunters captured early this morning. The action was pointless, in my opinion, as the meat would be served to beings that didn't even need to eat. However, the action's pretense seemed important to their kind. Perhaps to make them appear normal. To make us forget what they fundamentally are. Monsters.

I drop the rabbit in the steel bowl nearby, my hands sticky with its lifeblood. The apron around my waist is stained with the evidence of my work. This section of the castle is usually deserted and reserved for staff only. Adrianna's presence here, her need to gloat, speaks volumes about her emotions.

I square my shoulders and hold my head high, not saying a word as I pass her. The stench of her kind assaults my senses, the old, stale whiff of it making me want to vomit. It surprised me that even after sixteen years of being around these creatures, the smell of some of them still made the bile rise. I suppose it was as psychological as it was a physical reaction. While the stench was more prominent among older vampires, it was more intense when filled with hateful emotions. As if it physically tainted their bodies and impacted their aroma.

I wish they could have smelt like shit instead. Their stenches' likeliness to opening an old book tarnished something I loved.

Adrianna's cackle follows me as I run through the servant's corridor, which leads into a large room, the start of the communal rooms where all The Vampire Kings subjects liked to lounge around. Feeding and fucking. Sometimes, doing both at once. Luckily, if I could even say that, we were considered too lowly for the latter. This amused me as humans were the very beings keeping them alive yet considered too lowly to do the deed with.

I stop and brace myself just before I push the door open. This room I need to pass through is the only way to the stairs to The Vampire King's chambers. The alternative was going a long way via the outside, but that added minutes to my journey—minutes that would only infuriate him, as he hated waiting.

As I enter, along with the stench of old books, the smell of iron hits my nostrils. Courtesy of all the blood spilled on the carpet. It sickened me how careless these beings were when feeding.

There must be about thirty-two vampires in this room, each with a human. Either draped across their lap or out of the way, allowing them to fuck each other as the high kicks in. Pets and food. That's all we are. I catch Lilly's eyes as one of the vampires I least like, apart from The Vampire King himself, sucks on her arm, his nails digging into her hips painfully as he rides the euphoric high that drinking our blood evokes. Marcus.