Chapter 10

This body of work is available exclusively on Patreon and Wattpad. If you're viewing it on a different website or under a different username, it has been illegally stolen, and you may be at risk of malware. Please do not support these sites, as writing a book takes long hours of hard work and effort. Head over to Wattpad and let me, the original author, know if you encounter this situation by finding me @greenwitchwrites.

Addie

"You made me do this..." Silas paces before me, the ropes binding my hands together and hooked to the wall in the basement, the only thing keeping me upright.

My head is throbbing from where he has hit it against the wall in his anger, and I can feel something warm running down my back. Blood probably. I try to pry my eyes open but they are swollen shut. Courtesy of the beating he gave me upstairs because my period came sooner than its scheduled time. Which meant he could not feed and had not made arrangements for a replacement.

His replacements were hand-picked and had to be brought in from somewhere exotic. Pets worthy of a King.

While I usually enjoyed the few days of reprieve my monthly cycle gave me, irregularities always saw those days eaten away recovering, as he always got mad. And when he got angry, I was his punching doll. If I could laugh, I would. Like I could control when my period came. It was partly his fault. The more he and his fellow vamps fed on us pets, and the less we saw a decent meal in our stomachs, the more unpredictable our bodies were. I wouldn't be surprised if, one day, mine just gave up on me.

A fate I admittedly sometimes craved. Maybe today would be the day.

"Your obsession with her will be the end of you." That 'maybe' is dashed to pieces when I hear her voice. The woman who looks after the pets. She was good at fixing us. Way too good. I resented her for it.

"Shut up and fix her. She is losing blood I could be feasting on." The woman approaches me, her high heels on the concrete floor, indicating her progress.

In all the years, I never learned her name, and I only saw her when I was 'broken' and needed fixing.

"Pitiful. To think she is your m—" A loud slap echoes around the room, and the heels make a sound, indicating that the woman has stumbled backward.

"Not here. Keep your thoughts to yourself. You know the rule. I won't tell you again." The warning in Silas' tone drops the already low temperature in the room to freezing.

The woman straightens up and then approaches me again.

I brace myself. This part is always the most painful. As she touches me, pain shoots through my whole body, and I hear her grunt as if she, too, is suffering. And then I pass out like I always do.

"Addie!" Hades' voice pulls me from the nightmare. "Wake up, it's not real."

When I open my eyes, I am cradled in his arms, his hand stroking my back comfortingly. We are in bed. His bed. The same one I have slept in for the last five days since the doctors saw me.

I insisted I leave and find a motel, but Hades refused, saying I wasn't strong enough. It wasn't tough to convince me. I didn't want to leave yet. Then he insisted I stay in his bed and that he would sleep in the spare room. He didn't. He slept in the chair in the corner of this room. I know because two nights ago, I woke up in the middle of the night and found him asleep in it.

I should have known as he is always at my side when I have a nightmare. Like tonight.

"Shhh, you're safe here with me." I don't move, allowing his voice to calm my erratic heart rate and banish the basement images from my mind. I hated that place the most. I had been locked up there so often when I was younger that it had become a part of my upbringing—part of my conditioning—part of becoming Silas' pet.