III. Sire's wise words

Days pass, weighing heavily. Kovan’s unwelcome eyes breezing past me, his offering of blood, not a kindness. His demanding words urging and unrepentant, forcing me to acquiesce, for he longs to see me bearing my shackled torment while still aware. Otherwise, how would he thrive on my misery. Falling into unconsciousness would be a mercy, something he is incapable of.

Still, I drink only the bare minimum, keeping a somewhat hazy demeanour, as I linger in a nightmare-like state. After days suspended, my chest is little more than pained agony, my lungs feeling on the verge of collapse. I may no longer need to breathe, but I’m not immune to the sharpness of the pain. Yet, little does Kovan realise, that I know he has poisoned the blood-wine, he not so generously offers me upon each of his visits. As a rule, vampires are immune to poisons, but they can weaken us temporarily, causing more pain.

After watching me from the corner of the room for so long, he approaches, his haughty gaze roving over my weak form. Loosely holding another crystal chalice, by the very tips of his fingers, demonstrating his skilful ease.

“You are as frustrating as you are lovely, little bird. It seems I’m growing bored with your current punishment, so let’s try something new.” He stops, reaching out to tightly grasp my chin, even as my jaw aches.

I don’t struggle, letting him forcefully pour the tainted blood-wine between my parted lips.

“Well done.” His tone is condescending, as though I am nothing but a petulant child. “There will be a hunt this evening, and you will be joining us. You’ll also join us for the Luna ball the day after.”

Swallowing the remnants of the thick liquid, I turn to the side, glancing at my wrist. Wide tidemarks of dried blood circle the shackle, as fresh blood continues to seep, the silver iron cutting deeper still. I know that the other three will be just as unsightly, but I lose the chance to see, as his fingernails dig into my cheeks, harshly returning my gaze to his.

“When I am here, your attention should not wander from me.” He tightens his grip. “I shall release you, and you will be taken to rest and recover, ready for tonight’s, Luna hunt. Remember, this is not a time to test my patience, little bird. Not when celebration and revelry are so near.” Leaning close, I feel his hair slipping over my shoulders; and without waiting for me to speak, he roughly unshackles me.

The sudden release of tension is more than I can bear, as I collapse forward, my dislocated shoulders crunching as I twist to avoid hitting the cold marble floor, chin first. Black spots appear, floating around me as I lay in a crumpled heap. Exhaustion plaguing me in every sense, as I feel Kovan kneeling down, before he lifts me delicately. Resting in his arms, even my emotions of unwilling love and a hard won hatred fall quiet. It seems that even pain has a silver lining.

The candles cast shadows against the walls of the lavish halls as we stride by, the candelabra throwing soft light across the sprawling staircase. I half expect to see the familiar cells, where I spent the last months of my mortal life before the ritual, to greet me. Yet as the pain begins to fade, I’m placed carefully onto silky sheets and exquisite blankets. Laying back, I say nothing as I feel my bones crack, the pop of my shoulders sharp and searing. Though I bear it all in silence, my clenched jaw still reveals that which my lips never will.

“The antidote and the blood will allow you to heal, little bird. Rest for now.” I hear as his footsteps recede, the door closing, muffled by my thoughts. Just as I had suspected, he has been poisoning the blood-wine so willingly offered. The longer I lay unmoving, the stronger I begin to feel, until a lightness that has been lost in the past few days, returns. Sitting up, I glimpse the room, an ironic smile lingering on my lips. The same room that I once willingly loved, and spent days and nights in, so in-love with Kovan.