X. Sage

Raising my hand, I feel the tenderly healing skin from Lorne's bite upon my neck. His passion and gentleness were beautifully unexpected, and even as we lay next to one another, the heartache I carry feels less of a burden. Though I am no longer naive as I was at the age of nineteen, when Kovan began to court me, I know well the difference between that of Love, lust and desire. “What are you thinking of, my beautiful Wren?”

Seeing him laying languidly and so at ease, a smile naturally rises to my lips. “The difference between Love, lust and desire.”

The sheets rustle as he sits up, bringing me along beside him. “Love is rare and lust is shallow, but desire is the stepping stone into the darkness of your lover's heart.” His eyes glow, as his fingertips trace one rune after another over my thigh.

“If I were still naive as I was in the past, I would believe that beneath your lazy abandon is a romantic heart, for you already possess a silver tongue of charm and wit, even if it is overly mocking.” Sliding my feet over the edge, I make to stand from the bed, a sheet draping behind, but stumble as blackness washes over me. I feel as Lorne's hands rise to catch me, but all else fades away into a burningly bright light. The heat flaring over my usually cooler skin, before dissipating along with the blinding rays.

Standing upon white stone underfoot, I follow its seamless coldness into the merging of arches and strong pillars spiralling above. With a fierce uneasiness rising, I finally turn my gaze upon a familiar altar, realising that the temple I stand in, is Sage's, the god of virtue.

The very air feels potent with the uneasiness of reverence and benevolence, as I kneel before the altar, knowing that an offering should be given, though I only have my devotion, as I solemnly bow.

“Wren, my child of darkness.” A shiver threatens as a shadowy silhouette appears, just as I raise my eyes. “Your patience has been cunning, but your vow has kept its pureness these years, after the loss of your soul.”

Stopping before me, Sage slowly raises my head, gazing into my eyes as though peering at my past. “But... Your death is near.”

The angular plains of his face show little expression, even as the knowledge of my own death hangs in the air between us. I know that it means, Kovan has finally decided to cease toying with me. If my heart was beating, it would be aflutter, at his uttered words. A blessing and a curse, to know that my torment will end, but at the hands of Kovan.

Though, there is also a small flame beginning to burn brighter with the longing for life, one that I thought I had long extinguished. My heart already so burdened feels shadowed once more. “Do I have much time left to fulfil my vow to you?” and to keep the promise that I made to myself. Vengeance dies last.

“You will have a choice very soon, but as with all fates, there are many paths, but only one will bring you the desire that you have sought for so long. There is no single thread in life, as darkness lives within the light, there is always a shadow that follows long after.” Taking my hand he allows me to rise, even as his golden skin and bright silver eyes, look beguiling in his white and gold brocade, but still fading with the glowing illumination.

Darkness falls around me, as I quiver, a coolness sweeping over my face, Lorne's scent swirling in the air close to me. Opening my eyes, I feel a damp cloth resting on my brow, while gradually noticing the feeling of silk beneath me. “Back from the land of dreams?” He calls softly.

“Are you so certain that it was not the land of nightmares?” I ask, using the cloth to gently wipe over the heat still clinging to me so unpleasantly.

“The glow that was upon you, was from no nightmare.” He shakes his head, a golden prayer coin appearing between his fingertips, rolling down to his knuckles, before flicking up into the air to be caught in his idleness. “But for now, the others are dressing for the Luna ball, having returned while you were lost.” Staring at his indolent poise, I know he will not ask of what I dreamed, or why, yet a prickle of awareness settles beneath my skin. For I feel that he is far more knowing than Kovan ever was, or ever will be.