XI. Telling a story

The candles flicker casting silhouettes upon the dancing couples, as I slyly withdraw the hidden vial, uncorking and pouring two drops into a second chalice. A light swirl and the poison melts into the rich, flowing burgundy.

Shadowed at the edges of the ballroom, I turn, lifting our wine with a flourish. Winding my way back through the gossiping court, I raise the chalice with a subtle nod, as though honouring Tessa. Though my eyes reveal a hint of coldness, which she catches; dark enjoyment flickers in her own eyes.

Together, we sip in earnest. The wine, whether blood-wine, is still tasteful. Over the rim of my chalice, I watch as Tessa slowly flinches, grappling, before reaching for her throat and coughing. Blood beginning to flow from her nose and lips, as the chalice slips from her fingertips, a shiver flowing over her as she collapses.

For a moment the scene is still, as her last breaths slip by, her sister, Lily, kneeling beside her as she cradles her in anguish. Kovan watches from a distance, his eyes shining with amusement as he turns his gaze upon me.

Yet, he is robbed of his chance to speak, as Lily rises to her feet, stepping towards me with a fiery gaze. “You served her, her wine. Did you poison her?!”

Her fierce voice haunting the ballroom with its harshness, as she meets my cold and unfeeling stare. “Of course, I poisoned her.”

Widening her eyes, she remains frozen as though surprised by my honesty. “How dare you, she is lord Kovan's mistress.” Her arm swings wide, her hand arcing, but smoothly, I step aside, leaving her to stumble.

“You mean she was Lord Kovan's mistress,” I say with a wicked smile.

“How callous you are, a true horror to behold.” I may be, but only because I stand uncaringly in the light, whereas those much darker still remain buried.

“If you wish to see such horror, I'm sure that Prince Kovan will entertain you shortly.” Looking to him, I catch Lorne's eye as he gives me a mirthless smile.

Lily, taking a deep breath, glances out at the rest of the palace court, in her eyes, a hope for justice, marred by loathing. “You are the only one who is deserving of such a fate.”

I laugh. “Like beauty, it seems that horror is also in the eye of the beholder.” I glance at those surrounding me. “A night in the hollow city would show you just how near you are to such atrocities. The homeless and the poor beaten and enslaved, bought by those of wealth and position to use and forget after, as tainted.” The memories of such nights are still vivid.

“Tessa, had no such thoughts or dealings, yet still, you killed her. How she has suffered in your cruel hands.” Suffering..., like many, her imaginings of cruelty are little more than a forgotten shadow.

“Tessa, will always be remembered as young and beautiful, with the illusion of being well-loved even as her last breath faded as snowflakes in the rain.” Slowly kneeling beside her, I lightly lift her wrist. The golden snake, with its ruby eyes, awakening and raising its head. The serpent's tongue tasting the air, as it wavers before slowly uncoiling, only to glide over the back of my hand, entwining itself softly around my own slender wrist. The warmth pleasant, as it stills, glistening as golden jewellery once more.

The hush of the ballroom breaking as though waves washing against the shore, fear and avarice fill the air. “How dare you covet that which does not belong to you. Have you no thought to the wrath of Sire?”

Unlike many others, I remember the tales of old well. “Anyone, knowing of karma, would have nothing to fear. Sadly for Tessa, her own greed brought about her death. As you all know from the legends, should the victor of the Luna hunt use witchcraft to gain favour, another has the right to kill the disgraced, asking Sire for his favour in granting his gift once more.” Glancing down, I raise the serpent bangle adorning my wrist.