17. Past Exposed

Athulya's POV

"So she is right!" I opened my eyes to find Bhabhi standing in front of me, and the events of the previous night flooded back into my mind.

"What are you both doing here? Bua-dadi is talking, who knows what about you both," Bhabhi exclaimed, concern etched on her face.

"Vo gungi nahi huyi? Mujhe laga sadma lagega budhiya ko," I sighed, rubbing my eyes. I hadn't realized I had fallen asleep in the chair.

"Nahi, aur vo abhi neeche saadme vali baate kar rhi hai. Chalo dono neeche," Bhabhi urged, her voice tinged with urgency.

"Well, Bhabhi, how many words has she already spoken?" I inquired.

"More than a lot," she replied with a weary sigh.

"Then what's the need to go? She has already said everything. If anyone had doubted, they would have found us," I stated matter-of-factly, questioning the necessity of rushing downstairs.

"That's why I'm here; your bhaiya asked me to wake you up. Now get downstairs," Bhabhi insisted, her tone firm.

I facepalmed myself upon hearing this, realizing that Veer might have got a hint.

"And Aarav, you? You both were drinking?" Bhabhi directed her question at him.

"NO!" we both answered simultaneously.

"Then what is all this? You really need to learn a good lesson," Bhabhi scolded, her disappointment evident.

"I swear, it was just one sip," I defended myself, pinching the bridge of my nose in frustration.

"Both of you, downstairs right now," Bhabhi ordered sternly.

"Aapko aisa nahi lagta ye sanki vala gussa ussa aajkal inki naak pe bhi chadha rehta hai.. Really, a match made in heaven," I grumbled. He simply suppressed a smile at the remark.

We both walked downstairs as slowly as we could, dreading the confrontation with Bua Dadi whose high-pitched tone already seemed to be making holes in the curtain of our ears.

"Lo aa gyi, pucho isse," Bua Dadi declared as soon as we entered the room, her eyes fixed on us.

"Good morning," I greeted them with a casual wave, attempting to maintain an air of nonchalance despite the tension in the room.

"Kya ho gya Bua-Dadi ji? Chila- chila ke neend kharab kardi meri," I exclaimed playfully, walking towards Dadi and enveloping her in a warm hug as she kissed my forehead. Aarav raised his eyebrows at my acting, but I shot him a subtle wink, silently reassuring him that I had the situation under control.

"Tell your family what you were doing last night?" She smirked wickedly and I winked back, hiding in dadi's embrace.

"Oh, last night? Sit, sit," I gestured for everyone to take a seat. "I was already going to tell you all this as soon as I woke up, but it's good you reminded me. You know, Ma," I addressed my mother, "I was sleeping peacefully when I heard a noise. I thought my ears might be ringing again, but then the noise continued. It was coming from her room," I pointed at the elderly woman. "For a moment, I got scared. Then I decided to check up on her, and when I reached inside, I found her awake. She was babbling something. I thought maybe she was just speaking in her sleep, but no, she was awake. It was very strange, as if she was drunk. Vaise, Bua-Dadi raat ko kabhi do-char peg bhi chadati ho kya? I mean, maybe.." I trailed off, waiting for their reactions.

"Ulta chor kotwal ko daate. Wah! Kya jhoot bolti hai ye ladki. Bilkul bhi sharam nahi hai isse," I teased with a wink, and she continued, "Didn't I see you last night on the terrace with Aarav, and you both were drinking? What happened? Do you have any answer for this?"