3. Tara

The chaos settled down a bit, and I became familiar with the surroundings. I spoke to a few people, but there weren't many people who knew me. Apoorva noticed me. We spoke for a bit until she was taken away. I honestly don't know what I expected to happen. These people aren't that close to me anymore. It's been years since we've met.

I sighed and got up. I looked towards the balcony; there were all the cousins. Enjoying the evening, drinking away. They're playing a game that requires you to drink. They asked me if I'd play, but I refused. I can't be drinking in someone else's house when it's my responsibility to get myself home, and I'm also a lightweight. I shouldn't be drinking at all. I notice Dhruv sitting with them and enjoying his evening.

Have I mentioned he looks handsome?

He knows how to look presentable for an occasion. I sigh. These thoughts shouldn't be entertained. I navigate my way through the rooms until I find Mrs. Singhania.

I look at her through the door, and she looks back at me.

'I'm going,' I gesture.

She smiles, excuses herself from the group, and walks to me.

"This early? You could wait a bit more."

"No aunty. Thank you, but I have to go."

"Aren't you enjoying yourself? I thought you were hanging out with the kids."

"Yes, aunty, but I have to go. I had fun. Thanks for inviting me, but I guess it's too late."

"OK, if you say so. How are you going back, by the way?" She asks.

"I've booked the taxi. It must be arriving in a few minutes, probably."

She shakes her head a little bit. She calls out for Dhruv and he instantly approaches us, leaving what he was doing behind. This causes Ayan to say, "We were having fun, Chachi."

"You could still have fun without me." Dhruv says, tapping the back of his head a little bit.

"Accompany Tara to the ground floor."

"No," Dhruv cuts me off, saying, "Ok."

He turns to go to the elevator, and Mrs. Singhania smiles at me and says, "I'm sorry, beta; I was too focused on other things today; I couldn't talk to you properly."

"No problem, aunty; I'll come by and meet you some other day."

She smiles and gestures for me to go towards the open elevator that's been beeping. I walked towards the elevator and stood beside Dhruv. It's awkward as hell.

As we exit, I hear a small sigh of relief from Dhruv. I can't help but laugh a little, which definitely earned me a glare.

We both walked out and looked at the car that was supposed to drop me off at home. I was about to walk towards the car that was waiting when Dhruv stopped me. When I looked back at him, he was looking at the cab.

"Tara, I can drop you off."

"But you are drunk tonight."

"I don't drink." He says it as if I should've already known.

He walks to the cab and sends the cab away.

"Why did you do that?" I ask with such calm in my voice. He's yet to respond.

He asked for someone to bring his vehicle, and we waited. I didn't ask him to drop me off; why is he doing this?

My cheeks burned under Dhruv's unwavering gaze. The offer to drive me home had been unexpected, leaving me speechless. A part of me wanted to protest, to insist on a cab, but the deserted street and the late hour silenced that voice. The silence in the car was thick, punctuated only by the rhythmic hum of the engine and the occasional rustle of leaves outside. We were a stark contrast—his stoic silence mirroring the dark leather interior, my swirling thoughts echoing the city lights blurring past the windows.

There was no apology for sending the taxi away and no explanation for his sudden change of heart. He simply drove, his grip firm on the wheel, his expression an unreadable mask.

Minutes stretched into what felt like an eternity. A mix of gratitude and frustration warred within me. I am grateful for the safe ride home, yet frustrated by his uncharacteristic behaviour.

Finally, the familiar streets of my neighbourhood came into view. Relief washed over me, tinged with a touch of disappointment. As I pointed out my apartment building, a flicker of something crossed his face in the dim light—curiosity? Regret? It was impossible to tell.

The car came to a halt in front of my building. Without a word, I unbuckled my seatbelt and reached for the door handle.

"Thank you," I managed, my voice barely above a whisper.

He offered a curt nod, the engine idling impatiently. I stepped out of the car, the cool night air enveloping me in a welcome contrast to the luxurious warmth of the interior.

"Come to my office tomorrow at 9."

The car door slammed shut behind me, jolting me from my thoughts. Before I could even formulate a goodbye, the sleek black vehicle pulled away, disappearing into the night as quickly as it had arrived.

Standing on the sidewalk, I watched the taillights fade into the distance. The encounter left me with more questions than answers. Was his silence simply his personality, or was there something more to it?