7. Dhruv

The door clicked shut behind Tara, leaving me alone in the sterile silence. Regret, a cold serpent, coiled itself around my gut. I thought I had it under control. After last night, I gave myself the pep talk. I had it clear in my mind. But that all seems to have gone out the window the moment I saw her. Ugh. As foolish as it is for me to say this, she looked beautiful, and I can't seem to stop myself from thinking so. I don't want to stop.

But I have to.

She is nothing like the woman I envision as my partner. She is nothing like the woman I thought I'd settle down with. It wouldn't work.

I cursed under my breath. Why did I linger on her face earlier? The way her hair tumbled around her features, the intelligence that danced in her eyes—a potent cocktail threatening to shatter the carefully curated image I presented to the world.

Control. That was my middle name. Emotions were messy, unpredictable things, and I'd spent years burying mine beneath layers of logic and stoicism. Yet, here I was, feeling a tug in my chest I hadn't experienced in ages.

There was no easy answer. I couldn't explain the inexplicable pull I felt towards her—the way her presence seemed to disrupt the carefully ordered world I'd built.

A ragged breath escaped my lips. Frustration gnawed at me. This internship was supposed to be about the project, efficiency, and results.

The knock on my door reminded me to pull myself together.

I straightened in my chair, a newfound determination hardening my features. I wouldn't let my...feelings...cloud my judgement. I would work with Tara, mentor her, and keep things strictly professional. Easy, right?

The door swung open, revealing Nikitha. Her sharp gaze swept across the room before settling on me. "Hey, Dhruv, I got the reports you requested."

"Excellent, Nikitha," I said, forcing a smile. Here, at least, was something familiar. Nikitha and I were on the same page, both driven, ambitious, and focused on results. "Did you have a chance to look them over?"

I know I can trust her. The day I chose her as my team member, she had proven that to me. If it wasn't for my attraction to the blast-of colour next door, I'd have mistaken her for my type.

"Of course," she replied, her voice oozing confidence. "Everything seems to be on track. The Henderson project is moving along smoothly." She placed the files on my desk with a practiced flick of her wrist.

I pulled them closer, flipping through the pages with a practiced eye. "Good. Let's dive into the specifics then. The client wants a net-zero energy design for the new wing. Have you firmed up the materials list?"

Nikitha leaned forward, her perfectly manicured nails tapping a steady rhythm on the desk. "Almost. I'm still finalising the options for the solar panels. There's a new brand on the market that claims superior efficiency, but I need to verify their performance data."

I nodded with a flicker of approval in my eyes. Nikitha's meticulous approach mirrored my own. "Good call. Double-checking specs is crucial on a project of this scale. We can't afford any surprises down the line."

We spent the next hour dissecting the reports, debating the merits of various building materials and construction techniques. It was a familiar rhythm, a dance we'd perfected over countless projects. In the sterile world of deadlines and deliverables, I felt a sense of control I craved.

Suddenly, Nikitha tilted her head, her gaze flickering towards the empty cubicle next door. "Speaking of surprises," she said, her voice laced with a hint of amusement, "our new intern seems to be causing quite a stir."

"Really?" I managed, forcing a nonchalant tone.

Nikitha's lips curled into a sly smile. "Let's just say her...Casual attire is a bit out of place in this environment, wouldn't you agree?"

I fought the urge to roll my eyes. Tara's sense of style was a stark contrast to Nikitha's polished perfection, but that didn't make them unprofessional. "Her qualifications speak for themselves, Nikitha," I said curtly.

"Oh, I'm sure they do," Nikitha said, her voice dripping with sarcasm. "But qualifications only take you so far in this business, Dhruv. You need to project a certain image, a certain level of...polish."

My irritation flared. Nikitha thrived on a rigid corporate hierarchy, but I wasn't about to micromanage Tara's wardrobe. "Let's focus on the project, Nikitha. We have a tight deadline to meet, and integrating a new team member always comes with a learning curve."

Nikitha's smile faltered for a brief moment, but she quickly recovered. "Of course, Dhruv. I am always happy to help a newbie find her footing." The way she said "newbie" dripped with condescension.

A knot of unease formed in my stomach. Did I make the right call by including her on this team?